Mountain Project Logo

Its possible climb in Denver during January ?

Original Post
Joan Versak · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2017 · Points: 0

Hi to everyone ! I´m from Valparaiso, Chile. I`m studying abroad at Appalachian State University located in Boone, North Caroline.I would like to visit Denver for a few days with the intention to enjoy the climb from there.My expectative is be there between the 8 and 14 of January.Is possible climbing if is really cold and is snowing?

I wait for your answer and I'm so excited to visit this amazing place.

Kevin Zagorda · · Glen Haven, Co · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 600

It could be in the 60 degree fahrenheit range and you could climb in short sleeves in the sun, or it could be below zero fahrenheit and snowing.  You won't know for sure until a few days beforehand.

Keith W · · Denvah · Joined May 2015 · Points: 95

Yes! Lots of good winter crags. Blob Rock in Boulder Canyon, parts of Eldo are great in winter. Golden Cliffs (North Table Mtn). Turkey Rocks (2 hr drive). Shelf road is a bit of a drive but it could be 80 degrees in the day there sometimes in winter. 

Heavy on the J · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 0

Denver is definitely worth a trip, and if this is your only chance to go, you should do it.  But if you're specifically looking for good rock climbing in mid-January, you can save yourself a plane ticket and find better options within a short drive from App State. 

Blakevan · · Texas · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 56

Do you ski?  Eldora, while not the best place to ski, is very close to Boulder Canyon and Spring Break (March) of 2015 and 2016 we skied in the morning and then climbed in the canyon in the afternoon.  As stated above your ability to ski/climb will depend on what Mother Nature feels like that day.

Jim Fox · · Westminster, CO · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 50

As everyone has said, could be really nice and climbing is possible or could be really cold and snowy.

There is some ice climbing not too far from Denver, if you are into that, but only if it has been cold for a few days. Lots of places rent ice gear too. 

Mike Slavens · · Houston, TX · Joined Jan 2009 · Points: 35
Jim Fox wrote:

As everyone has said, could be really nice and climbing is possible or could be really cold and snowy.

+1. 

Watch the forecast for wind as well as that can ruin an otherwise great day.  I recommend high wire crag in CCC, Rincon Wall or Chockstone in Eldo, or Shelf Road near Canyon City.  

Turkey Rock is climbable in winter but the road to get there is the issue.  Unlikely, although not impossible, to get there in January even on a good winter day.  Definitely would want 4WD.

double delay · · 4 Corners · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 65

Go to Chattanooga area or Horse Pens, it's closer and better climbing

Joan Versak · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2017 · Points: 0

Thank you guys for all your answers, I appreciate! I know some places to climbing here in North Caroline and I have been in a few.But I'm from another country so would like to know new places, new people, etc.

Thanks again and have fun climbing! If someone has Couchsurfing please add me (Joan Rojas).

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "Its possible climb in Denver during January ?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started