Mountain Project Logo

Holy Boulders Winter Conditions?

Original Post
Adam Slattery · · Platteville Wisconsin · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 25

Curious if climbing here in mid to late January is possible? 

Matt Wolski · · Salt Lake City · Joined May 2002 · Points: 355

I don't have any recent beta, but I've visited family in Chicago around the holidays and taken a side trip to Jackson Falls afterwards and climbing was very possible. If my memory serves, Holy Boulders are somewhere around that area. 

Billy Simek · · Campton, KY · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 4,950

Climbing is definitely possible throughout the entire winter dependent on precipitation and sun conditions. I took a trip down at the end of last January and it was sunny and in the high 30s the first day, probably the best conditions I've ever had down there; however, the next day it started dumping snow as we got to the parking lot. Nights will be cold either way, but keep an eye on the weather and you should be able to find a good window to get a few solid days in at the b's.

CCas · · Bend, OR · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 145

For sure... similar to lrc, rocktown or hp40, nov to march is the ideal time to go IMHO. I climb out of Devils Lake which is way too cold in winter minus an odd day in the 30s so Holys is my winter goto. 

Obv always be watching weather, but no bugs (ticks bad there), great friction (lower dew points) and better chance that percipitation is solid vs rain which means less waiting for the rock to dry if you are there multiple days.

Definitely get after it... 

Adam Slattery · · Platteville Wisconsin · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 25

Thanks guys. Sounds like it may be a lil chilly but definitely doable. Any recommendations on what boulders to get on while there? Hopefully looking for a good cluster of quick drying rock if it exsists..or a bag stuffed with 4 million cash would also be nice

Michael Martzahn · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 60
Adam Slattery wrote:

Thanks guys. Sounds like it may be a lil chilly but definitely doable. Any recommendations on what boulders to get on while there? Hopefully looking for a good cluster of quick drying rock if it exsists..or a bag stuffed with 4 million cash would also be nice

The best kind of conditions.  Shadow of a Man area, Atlas boulder, Red Sea, it's all good.  Sorry, any bags of cash down there are mine.  I lost it right before you found it.  :D

CCas · · Bend, OR · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 145

The top rated problems on mp (filter for 3+ stars) are pretty accurate. Tick a few of those and u will be good to go... 

James Burnes · · Dix, IL · Joined Dec 2017 · Points: 0

Went there for the first time Saturday, just because. Fun hike back over the icy trail. Climbed a couple of the easy/obvious/least icy problems.  Cool place.  

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Midwest
Post a Reply to "Holy Boulders Winter Conditions?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started