Mountain Project Logo

WImping out in the cold

grog m · · Saltlakecity · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 70

Hey amigos insulting people and jumping on them is not the way to educate. Were working to change a cultural mindset. Its going to take time and patience. 

Im happy to say that its working. After a few beatings I took, I can actually tell that the way I use words like 'pussy' has changed and I consciously think about it. But its going to be an uphill battle for a while. 

Andrew Rice · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 11

As a wimp I resent this title.

Lena chita · · OH · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 1,667

Thanks for changing the thread title.

In addition to things already mentioned, a lot of people forget that they should use multiple layers  not just on their upper body, but also on the lower half. I find that having an extra pair of pull-on fleece pants that i can pull up on TOP of the climbing pants and harness makes a huge difference. Easy to take them off for climbing, and then put them back on while belaying. I prefer this to having a base layer, for weather in the 30s-40s F. You get quite warm and toasty while climbing, so having a base layer under your regular pants is too much.

And I think a lot of people responding to this thread are not taking your location into account. I'll happily climb in the desert winter sun even if the temperatures are in the upper 20s. But Gunks have much higher humidity, and 40's can easily feel worse than the desert 30, especially if you aren't in full sun. But it isn't so cold that you should forgo climbing. Go for it next time!

N Nelsen · · Thornton, NH · Joined Jun 2010 · Points: 140

Having a dedicated pair of shoes that you can fit on with a comfy pair of wool socks goes a long way. The handwarmer in the chalkbag trick works nicely, but on super cold days I'll make a crack climbing tape glove that sandwiches a handwarmer to the back of my hand. This trick works insanely well. 

In the end being a New England climber means you do silly things like climbing rock in the winter, knocking down icicles as you go. 

mediocre · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 0
Nick Sweeney wrote:

Are you insinuating that being sarcastic is a male trait? Please change your post.

In all honesty, I think you’d have to have dicks for brains for posting a title like that in this forum and not get some responses as he has. 

However, I don’t think the OP was trying to be an asshole, just an oversight on his part. It doesn’t personally offend me, but I realize it does others, even I cringed when I first read the title figuring this would explode into another FlashFoxy-esque thread.

David K · · The Road, Sometimes Chattan… · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 423
Gunkiemike wrote:

OP - realize that the extremities lose circulation AKA get cold, when the body needs to keep the core warm. So it can make a nice difference re. hand warmth if you really bundle up the rest of the body. For some that means climbing with a heavier-than-you'd-expect puffy on. I saw a woman at the Gunks a week ago with THREE puffies on with temps in the high 40s. Now, some folks might overheat under that situation. Anyway, my trick is to heavily insulate my legs. It enables warm blood to make it all the way to my toes, of course, but it just keeps me toasty all over and I don't have much problem with my fingers. Nothing a few seconds against my neck can't take care of. 

This matches well with my experience. Keep the core warm and the fingers/toes will be fine. You want to be as warm as you can be without sweating. Climbing will push you over into sweating if you wear the same layers as you do when belaying, so bring a layer you can wear while belaying and take off while climbing.

Another thing to consider is that single pitch will be easier for staying warm. Dragging a coat up to a mid-route belay is logistically annoying. Also, the midpoints and tops of routes generally get more wind than the base, so you'll be a lot colder.

Also, winter camping has taught me that keeping your body's systems balanced is key to staying warm. Fat gives you the best calories for staying warm--if you're hungry you'll be cold. Water helps you digest properly--if you're dehydrated you'll be cold. Extra water in your bladder is more your body has to keep warm--if you have to pee and don't take care of that quickly you'll be cold. If you need to sleep your body slows down your metabolism, producing less heat--if you don't sleep properly you'll be cold.

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
eli poss wrote:

PC = demanding that every single person you ever meet must behave in a way you deem acceptable otherwise you shame them excessively, which only creates more hate.

Wrong. You seem to have bought into the Fux 'news' view of PC. 

Here are some synonyms: unoffensive, nondiscriminatory, unbiased, neutral, appropriate, nonpartisan

Wikipedia has a reasonable definition and discusson:

The term political correctness (adjectivally: politically correct; commonly abbreviated to PC or P.C.) is used to describe language, policies, or measures that are intended to avoid offense or disadvantage to members of particular groups in society. Since the late 1980s, the term has come to refer to avoiding language or behavior that can be seen as excluding, marginalizing, or insulting groups of people considered disadvantaged or discriminated against, especially groups defined by sex or race. In public discourse and the media, it is generally used as a pejorative, implying that these policies are excessive

Nick Goldsmith · · Pomfret VT · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 440

Go ice climbing like a real man.

june m · · elmore, vt · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 110

I have climbed  with  fingerless  gloves and handwarmers in them, up to 5.10(but not cracks)  Other cold weather options  besides skiing are  ice climbing  and  dry tooling. That way   you can wear  full gloves  ( not to say that ice  climbing is warm)

JonasMR · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 6
Nick Goldsmith wrote:

Go ice climbing like a real man.

I thought that was the subliminal message from capitalizing the 'WI' in the new title...

Ice climbing is pleanty warm if you  solo or climb in a fast efficiant team of 2.

the  two reasons Ice climbing is much warmer than winter rock climbing are A. you keep your gloves on, B. you wear socks and real boots.

eli poss · · Durango, CO · Joined May 2014 · Points: 525
Marc801 C wrote:

Wrong. You seem to have bought into the Fux 'news' view of PC. 

Here are some synonyms: unoffensive, nondiscriminatory, unbiased, neutral, appropriate, nonpartisan

Wikipedia has a reasonable definition and discusson:

Wrong. I'm well aware that fox news is utter bullshit. The fact that the media still consider fox news actual media as opposed to 100% propaganda is mind-blowing.

I agree that we should strive to not offend others in our language. However, I also believe that shaming others is not a very good way to bring about the change we desire. Shame in excess leads to resentment and resentment leads to hate, which is exactly what the PC wants to abolish, or so they claim. However, through the policing of other people's behavior they create the very thing they set out to destroy.

As a kid, my parents always told me "You can't control other people's actions, only your own." While it took me almost 16 years to learn this lesson, it has been quite a valuable token of wisdom. Love others. Lead by example and others will follow. And realize that change is slow, painfully slow at times, but rushing it will only make it slower.  

Luna Luna · · New Haven, CT · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 60
Sam Keller wrote:

You could try covering your pussy up if it's cold. I can't speak for all ladies but personally it seems risky to climb pussy out. Especially if it's cold out. 

1. I was at the gunks this past Saturday, sun was out rock was warm (enough) and the crowd was thin. Made for a great day

2.careful with the verbiage there... pussy is a strong muscle.  

Ward Smith · · Wendell MA · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 295

I used to rope climb all winter, but now I boulder instead.   Hang out in a big down coat, then you are not on the rock long enough to get cold.   Best sending temps for bouldering when it is too cold to do routes.

yea but you guys  go barefoot and stuff..... every time  talk to Ed on my way home from ice climbing it sounds like he is trying to convince himself that he had a good time. How  was main cliff today? says I comming home from a asome day at The Lake where i got to climb steep big ice in the sun with my gloves and boots on. Ed, oh it could have been a little less windy, maby a bit warmer but it was fun I suppose....    

Mike Collins · · Northampton, MA · Joined May 2013 · Points: 0

Just boulder! I went the other day in the mid to low 30s with the sun out and the rock was amazing. Easily got some problems I had been working. Just when you start getting cold the problem is over. Bring some hot tea and it's a good time.

ed esmond · · The Paris of VT... · Joined Jan 2010 · Points: 0

Nick,

Let’s compare: 

-Ice Climbing:

Park the car (in a unplowed snowbank, where you’ve spent 20 minutes shoveling out a space.) Gather your 1000 Bucks worth of gear, (Which is entry level, barely just enough to play the game.)  Dress in enough warm clothes so you look like the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man.

You mentioned climbing barefoot, what about ice boots?  One easily can spend $500 on them and still have cold feet… (Just do a search of this website..)

Some people do climb barefoot; then again, some need La Sportiva Nepal Evo GTX mountaineering boots priced at $510 from REI.  Personally, I have a pair of stretched out Scarpa velcro shoes I wear a thin pair of socks in.

You’ve got $1k with of gear, 5 dead geese worth of feathers in your coat, bowling balls (with pointy spikes) on your feet, and you haven’t even started climbing!

We’ll ignore the “20 minutes, tops*” steep snow wallow up the avalanche chute to the base of the climb. 

Then, there’s the reality of ‘ice climbing.”  Basically, it’s swinging a pair of 32 oz framing hammers over your head, all day long.  Maybe I’m missing something, but swinging a hammer all day long sounds way, way too much like  being at work, and not like having fun.  (And, at work, we’d have a compressor and a Senco FramePro nail gun helping us out.) 

Actual ice climbing? It basically involves chipping a set of handholds and footholds up a frozen drip of snot, barely stuck to a mossy, dank, north facing choss heap.

Protection?  I find it funny that every ice screw has a “load limiter” called a “Screamer” attached.  (As an aside: Does something called a “Screamer” really inspire confidence?)

Can this get any better?

For me, the final thing is the “helmet issue.”  I don’t know why; but, I’m wary of any activity that “requires” a helmet.  Don’t get me wrong, wearing a climbing helmet is always a good idea.  But, having to wear one should make one pause and think carefully about what they’re doing. 

The helmet is not “optional,” or “a good idea,” or “just being careful,” it’s required.  Think about it:  you’re doing an activity where you must wear something to keep your brains from being smashed.

VS

-“Ed, trying to convince himself he’s had a good time” Climbing…

Park in a plowed lot, stroll (cushy pack boots, maybe on snowshoes, maybe with creepers, maybe in sneakers) up to the base of the climb.  Do 10 pitches of 5.10.  If it’s chilly, huddle around a small fire to keep warm.  Sit, facing the sun and soak up lots of natural  Vitamin D.  Walk down to car in daylight.  Drive home. Feel awesome.

I don’t think I'm convincing myself of anything…. 

I know I had a good time; I just didn’t want to make you feel bad about a poor climbing choice you made….

Come over to the “dark side,” you’re always invited..

Ed "South Facing, Out of the Wind" E

* anytime, anyone, anywhere tells you the “approach is 20 minutes, tops…”. They are sooo lying...

Ed, the reason your feet look like the Michelin man is because you wear the same kit you had in the eightys 

And was it really nessicary to break you leg just so you did not have to go ice climbing?
Russ Keane · · Salt Lake · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 392

Worst thread ever. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northeastern States
Post a Reply to "WImping out in the cold"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.