Mountain Project Logo

What's in your bag?

Original Post
Forrest Carver · · Edgecomb, ME · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 150

What do you bring in your crag bag(s) for a day of climbing, besides the obvious?

If you bring a bag on the route, what's in it?

Pavel Burov · · Russia · Joined May 2013 · Points: 50

Rope, protection (nuts, cams, slings, binners, QDs, etc), harness + belay device and gloves, dedicated "resque" QD, chalkbag w/brush, shoes, head lamp, spare batteries, water + snacks, fleece layer, medikit, lighter, small garbage bag, tape, notebook and pen.

Tony K · · Pa · Joined May 2017 · Points: 0

Roy Suggett · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 8,978

Besides what PB listed, my chalk bag always has a bail biner, an extra belay device, chapstick, and a straight edge razor blade wrapped in several layers of good quality duct tape, and still have room for the white stuff.  I really like those bags that have a pocket on the bottom to accommodate the above and I also always make my belt from 1/2" webbing.  Over the years all of these back ups have been utilized. 

chris blatchley · · woodinville, wa · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 6

my friend in the airforce got me into packing MREs for lunch. a hot lunch at the crag is usually a really nice luxury. i'm sick of peanut butter and jelly

Jack Servedio · · Raleigh, NC · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 35
Tony K wrote:

And if you are climbing in Little Cottonwood Canyon, probably a gun, too.

walmongr · · Gilbert AZ · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 130

my balls for leading of course! But I have to beg my wife and make sure my honey do list is done or she keeps them locked away and I can only top rope and boulder! 

Rich B · · Boulder, CO · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 10

Since the weather can be all over the place in Colorado lots of layers... T-shirt, fleece, puffy, light soft shell jacket, knit hat. If its on the colder or windy side I'll wear a base layer.

Kevin Piarulli · · Redmond, OR · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 1,683

Nail clippers can be important for cleaning up flappers and dead skin. I've even used them to trim up the rubber on my shoe when it starts peeling.

Hamish Hamish · · Fredericksburg, VA · Joined May 2017 · Points: 15

bug spray and sunscreen.

waldo · · Knoxville, TN · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 30
Chris Blatchley wrote:

my friend in the airforce got me into packing MREs for lunch. a hot lunch at the crag is usually a really nice luxury. i'm sick of peanut butter and jelly

MRE’s. Yuck. Your friend must not have to eat them often. 

Tedk · · elliottsburg pa · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 5

TP....

DavisMeschke Guillotine · · Pinedale, WY · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 225
Tim Lutz wrote:

rap music, weed, and a pitbull

Grab the Bluetooth boom box with your "Native" sticker on it and you're all set.

Kyle Elliott · · Granite falls · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 1,718

I'm better these days about not bringing every piece of gear and emergency equipment I own with me, but several items are in my gear bag at all times...  headlamp, water treatment, a trash bag, a little TP, packable windbreaker, and sunglasses.

Food, water, specific gear, and clothing will vary depending on the day's agenda. 

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1,374

More water than you think, plus juice, water, snacks stashed in the vehicle also.

I can top almost everyone on these threads though. 

If at all possible, my son is along. EMT Advanced and SAR, including technical rescue!

Hard to cram into the chalk bag, I admit.

Best, OLH

Sorry OHL but I will have to top you 

HM2-8404 (FMST)  SAR and current orthopedic surgical nurse, kudos to your son ....please Thank him for his service for me 

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276
Forrest Carver wrote:

What do you bring in your crag bag(s) for a day of climbing, besides the obvious?

If you bring a bag on the route, what's in it?

I take what I need and what I might need.

SkyB · · PDX, OR · Joined May 2012 · Points: 0

Water, snacks, layers including hat and gloves, chapstick,tape, trash bag and headlamp. Toilet paper and a ziplock bag to contain it  (Makes the hike out and emptying the pack later a little more esthetic)

Ellis L · · Truckee · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 156

For cragging, I bring flip flops to wear in between climbs on the same wall. No need to waste time putting on socks and lacing shoes for every climb/belay transition - burning daylight! 

eli poss · · Durango, CO · Joined May 2014 · Points: 525
Tony K wrote:

That stuff's alright. But this shit is much better

But lately I've been bringing some of this on climbing trips since my roommate gave it to me (she thought it was nasty, I think it tastes just fine)

eli poss wrote:

That stuff's alright. But this shit is much better

But lately I've been bringing some of this on climbing trips since my roommate gave it to me (she thought it was nasty, I think it tastes just fine)

All are good .......let’s add some

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "What's in your bag?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started