Mountain Project Logo

3 climbers face up to 5 years jail time for illegally climbing and "placing 26 bolts" in a World Heritage Site in China

Original Post
Andy J · · Golden · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 10

3 climbers was arrested this week for illegally climbing and bolting the "Python Peak" (Jumang Feng) in northern China. According to local police, they will be charged with "Deliberately Damaging Famous Cultural or Geological Artifact" which, depends on the seriousness of the incident, could face up to 5 years in jail. 

Any opinions?

Joe Garibay · · Ventura, Ca · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 86

If we didn’t protect places this world would be crushed under our weight. Bolts aren’t always necessary. This is why trad is rad. Beautiful place. 

Joe Garibay · · Ventura, Ca · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 86
David Gibbs · · Ottawa, ON · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 2

Assuming the story is as posted -- climbing and bolting on a restricted heritage site (and the linked story suggests that local managers even tried to stop them), then it seems quite reasonable they get charged and even perhaps jail time (noting that up to 5 years often doesn't mean anyone will get anything close to that -- at least in US jurisdictions.  Not sure about China.)

S. Neoh · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 35
Andy J wrote:

3 climbers was arrested this week for illegally climbing and bolting the "Python Peak" (Jumang Feng) in northern China.

Location is more like southern China, approximately 300 miles southwest of Shanghai. Designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site some years ago.

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 252

Seems pretty cut and dry...

Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,610

The law is the law but from a hypocrisy standpoint I'm sure there's all sorts of human made shit all over that place, paved trails, gondola, etc.

Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0

Well they got what they deserved. I am sure everyone knew it was illegal to climb it so it isn't like they didn't know they could get jail time. I know plenty of things myself and friends have climbed in the past but we normally avoid anything with more than a 300-500$ fine for climbing.

mediocre · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 0
Tradiban wrote:

The law is the law but from a hypocrisy standpoint I'm sure there's all sorts of human made shit all over that place, paved trails, gondola, etc.

It was the pillar in the photo, from what I can tell in the articles. No gondola that I can see. 

I mean for fucks sake they not only climbed it but bolted the shit out of it. 

mediocre wrote:

It was the pillar in the photo, from what I can tell in the articles. No gondola that I can see. 

I mean for fucks sake they not only climbed it but bolted the shit out of it. 

I Googled a few photos of the area and I saw a bunch of  development. My point is that one man's trash is another man's treasure.

Luc-514 · · Montreal, QC · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 12,536
David Gibbs wrote:

Assuming the story is as posted -- climbing and bolting on a restricted heritage site (and the linked story suggests that local managers even tried to stop them), then it seems quite reasonable they get charged and even perhaps jail time (noting that up to 5 years often doesn't mean anyone will get anything close to that -- at least in US jurisdictions.  Not sure about China.)

I would not like to visit a prison in China, and you don't play around with the justice system there.

s.price wrote:

While it's true regarding the trash and treasure approved development and blatantly breaking the law are different beasts. Stupid actions typically result in serious consequences.

Word. Since we can all agree on that I am stretching the conversation over to America for the hypocrisy is all over the place.

cragmantoo · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 175

At least it happened in China and they are only looking at 5 years in jail.

In North Korea, they shoot you with anti-aircraft guns...

Luc-514 · · Montreal, QC · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 12,536
cragmantoo wrote:

At least it happened in China and they are only looking at 5 years in jail.

In North Korea, they shoot you with anti-aircraft guns...

5 years forced labor with the chance of becoming an organ donor after your untimely and mysterious death.

Allen Sanderson · · On the road to perdition · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 1,203
ViperScale wrote:

Well they got what they deserved. I am sure everyone knew it was illegal to climb it so it isn't like they didn't know they could get jail time. I know plenty of things myself and friends have climbed in the past but we normally avoid anything with more than a 300-500$ fine for climbing.

From reading the article the issue was not the climbing but the bolting.

S2k4 MattOates · · Kremmling, CO · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 126

Dumbasses

Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0
Allen Sanderson wrote:

From reading the article the issue was not the climbing but the bolting.

No others have been "detained" for attempting to climb it without bolts. So it is likely they were told to stop and kept going, sure the bolts didn't help them though and maybe just added to the time.

Phil Pullshard · · Fort Collins, Colorado · Joined Sep 2012 · Points: 115

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Yeah, Honnold should just solo it and chop them as he goes for some true street cred. what has that bum been up too. He has that humanitarian fund sounds like great publicity!

other · · San Diego, CA · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 15

China the land of toxic air and water and unlimited building. A few thousand bribe each they'll be free. 

ebmudder · · Bronx, NY · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 55

Not only bolting, but they also brought a drone, much like this thread...

other · · San Diego, CA · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 15

And a dog ? And wacky tabacky?

is that one cliff bolt free? I was under the impression that Yangzhou/Guilin was covered w bolts?

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "3 climbers face up to 5 years jail time for ill…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started