Mountain Project Logo

Living and climbing with bipolar types

Original Post
BriZ T. · · Ogden, Utah · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 0

I am not currently diagnosed by a professional due to my reluctance to see one and the stigma that surrounds the whole thing, as well as potential to ruin my career , but I am a candidate most definately for what I believe is type 2 bipolar.  From my limited time on MP I somewhat expect to be roasted , I am asking for it I guess by posting, but I am curious of other climber's experiences. To be clear I am giving the benefit of the doubt that I will be roasted , but it is all good it is what it is .   Do you or a "friend" have any advice or experiences you would like share?  In my mania or hypo mania , climbing is the absolute greatest thing in the world....even at times I have been dangerous alone , in hindsight . example: here exploring the quartzite along the east bench of Utah and doing some scrambling and solo adventures that would honestly scare me to do when "normal"  .  In my depression , I beat myself up for not meeting my expectations while climbing,  experience great frustration and other pretty downright terrible emotions, if I do get myself to actually climb.  I love climbing and it has helped me in my life and I have met incredible people in the climbing tribe. I just am curious if anyone has anything to share, thank you_- be kind and amazing things happen. 

Sam M · · Portland, OR · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 30

Careful about self-diagnosis. Is this something related to climbing only, or all aspects of your life? 

Sometimes you're on, and sometimes you're not. I have soloed routes when 'on' that terrified me to lead when I was not. 

Ryan Hamilton · · Orem · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 5

If you legitimately think you have some type of bi-polar then I HIGHLY encourage you to go see a professional. This is not a deadly diagnosis, but living without useful medication can cause lots of problems in your life from dangerous activities to ruined relationships, work problems, suicide. It also seems like everyone that has bi-polar problems hates to get and take their medication, which seems to be part of the problem. Just go, talk to a good doctor and take any medication that he/she prescribes. I think you'll be happier and enjoy climbing more. As for myself I find that climbing is extremely helpful in keeping me mentally happy. It's hard to worry about life's problems when you're struggling up some boulder or cliff-side, even climbing in the gym is really useful to keep me happy and healthy. I get done with an hour or two or three of climbing and I feel refreshed and ready to take on the rest of my life. 

BriZ T. · · Ogden, Utah · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 0

Sam , solid advice it is a feeling of a slippery slope considering taking the self diagnoses to professional help jump. I am realistically considering it. For me there is a distinguishable difference when I am off vs on vs full blown pure energized madness love and enjoyment climbing. (along with unrealistic confidence and injury prone fun) Also I would say all aspects of life, an example in climbing though is being so manic I guess , that I throw rationale and situational awarnes out the window and go from learning(some say failing haha) to being in the couch laid up from an unnecessary pulley injury because I was in an almost uncontrollable feeling high while projecting. 

Ryan , I so get that how people are reluctant to get meds and take them. I have had the absolute hardest time even believing the side effects  and assurances of safety of meds like my gyno (one of few professionals I see willingly) prescribes. I also relate to having a hard time worrying of problems while on the rock . If I had only known not to adult or at least be excited about it when I was young, it's a trap :). Climbing unleashed my world as a child...and now for the last few years I have gone back to that magic and heavily relied on it to keep me mentally happy also finding a better consistency mentally.  I just am accepting a bit more lately the notion I can benefit from at minimum advice from a professional of my suspicions .  I really appreciate both of your input, thank you. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern Utah & Idaho
Post a Reply to "Living and climbing with bipolar types"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started