Mountain Project Logo

Patagonia tropic comfort

Original Post
wisam · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 60

Looking for a sun hoody. Looking at both the Patagonia tropic comfort and the sunshade hoody. I like the chest pocket on the sunshade and could see my self using it often however a lot of reviewers seem to say the tropic is a lot cooler

I already have a R1 hoody so the main objective would be to have something that protects from the sun on hot days on the glacier as a better alternative to short sleeves  

Is there a huge difference between the two in "coolness"

Mark Berenblum · · Gardiner, NY · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 105
wisam wrote:

Looking for a sun hoody. Looking at both the Patagonia tropic comfort and the sunshade hoody. I like the chest pocket on the sunshade and could see my self using it often however a lot of reviewers seem to say the tropic is a lot cooler

I already have a R1 hoody so the main objective would be to have something that protects from the sun on hot days on the glacier as a better alternative to short sleeves  

Is there a huge difference between the two in "coolness"

I haven't tried the sunshade hoody, but have the Tropic Comfort. I'd say the name is aspirational... it's not something I'd call comfortable in any sort of tropics. The weave on the fabric is tight so that UV doesn't get through, but that also means breathability isn't what you'd hope for. Unless there's a decent breeze, I've found it to feel clammy. I'd hate to be wearing one under an R1 after the sun goes down and you're headed back to the car. If the sunshade hoody is even less cool than the tropic comfort, as suggested by reviewers, I would stay away.

I'm not sure what the SPF on a regular capilene shirt is like, but assuming it's better than nothing, I'd just go that route for glaciers. You'll get much better breathability and some amount of UV protection, though I'm sure it's less than on the sun-specific shirts. A buff will keep the sun off the back of your neck, and a cap under your helmet should cover your face.

Andrew Rice · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 11

I have the one with the chest pocket. Really like it. As noted above, any kind of long-sleeved, hooded sun protection is going to be warmer than none. But it's not oppressive at all.

Tapawingo Markey · · Reno? · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 75

Lightweight cap has an upf of 35 I believe and is much more breathable. The Airshed Pullover has been one of my favorites for weather protection/breathability but can’t speak to its sun protection. I’d guess similar to lightweight cap.

Gavin W · · NW WA · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 181

I use the Ex Officio Sol Cool hoody and it works great for hot, sunny days on the glacier. The only negative to it (and any hoody that covers my nose and mouth when zipped all the way up) is that I need to leave my mouth and nose exposed otherwise my glasses fog up.

Bnice · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 0

Sorry I know you’re asking about the Patagonia options however I got a Vroomi River Run hoodie a few months ago and I love it. Great fit and the blend of merino wool kept me cool in the direct sun and insulated a little when it got cold. Used when backpacking Haleakala and while climbing in Red Rock canyon for a week. It’s expensive but there should be a be a 20% off coupon for REI tomorrow. Good luck with your search!

Jack Servedio · · Raleigh, NC · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 35
Mark Berenblum wrote:

I'm not sure what the SPF on a regular capilene shirt is like, but assuming it's better than nothing, I'd just go that route for glaciers. You'll get much better breathability and some amount of UV protection, though I'm sure it's less than on the sun-specific shirts. A buff will keep the sun off the back of your neck, and a cap under your helmet should cover your face.

This is what I use - I have a super thin NF capilene that was specifically advertised with an SPF rating, which I believe was SPF50. I prefer just wearing a super light weight hooded baselayer. My littler brother picked up a super cheap Nike sun hoody from Kohls or something and he didn't get burned, even on the back of his neck, after a full week in Red Rock and Zion and he wasn't really hot. Hood fit under helmet just fine too.

Jerimiah We · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 0

I have the tropic comfort and used it on Adams, a few trips to Muir and a handful of all day climbs in the sun on snow. I love it.

After my first trip wearing it (85f day on snow for 7 hours) I was as comfortable as I could be. It’s doesnt breathe like mesh but it’s better than most base layer materials I’ve used. 

Tapawingo Markey · · Reno? · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 75

Sorry for the digression but the gear nerd in me has to speak out. SPF stands for sun protecting factor and is a rating given to sunscreens/lotions, illustrating the time it takes for exposed skin to get irritated. UPF stands for UV Protection Factor and is the amount of UV light that can penetrate a fabric. Thus, we’re talking UPF here not SPF.

wisam · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 60

decided to pull the trigger on the tropic.  the other one seems like it may be too similar to an R1

Zach Raney · · Moab · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 0

I instruct multi week Mountaineering and climbing trips in Colorado and all i wear is the tropic

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Patagonia tropic comfort "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started