Mountain Project Logo

DMM Dragon2

Original Post
marc · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 5

So looking for some advice I want to make my first cam purchase and one of my friends made me an offer of 500 for a full set of 3 month old dragon 2's (00-6) with racking carabineers everything is new in packaging. long story on why he's selling but that doesn't matter lol.  I've only used C4's what's your opinion A+ deal or hold off till holidays and get c4s or try to find a cheaper set. everyone's opinion is welcome :)

Greg D · · Here · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 883

They are quality engineered cams.  If you like the price and how they feel in your hands, go for it.

Otherwise, we could dissect minutia ad infinitum why this cam is better than that one.  If you properly place these cams in quality rock, they will do what they are supposed to do.  

Dave Alie · · Golden, CO · Joined Feb 2010 · Points: 75

Agree with the above. I have several and use them. They're well made and you won't have a hard time with them. They're also on the same color scheme as BD cams with more or less the same usable range, so there shouldn't be much adjustment involved. There's no thumb loop, which stops the conversation for some people, but if you can get past that they're great. 

ebmudder · · Bronx, NY · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 55

I love them but some people don't like the lack of a thumb loop or large surface to balance the trigger against...this is more of a problem with the larger cams 4-6. I would recommend going to a store and try mimicking unclipping a large cam from your belt and placing it up at an angle above your head. If it feels awkward in your hand you probably won't like it when you're pumped and trying to place it.

Matt Himmelstein · · Orange, CA · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 194

I love the Dragons, not enough to pay a huge premium over other double axles, but they work great.  You are getting about $100 discount vs. full price @ Backcountry - 10% from Active Junkie, so it is a good, but not great deal.

The 00, 0 and 6 are definitely optional in the range.  I like my small cams, and carry the size, but you can get by without them and use nuts.  The 6 is definitely route specific.  It never leaves the deck unless I know I am going to need that size.  You may be better off picking up doubles of 1 - 4 and then filling in the larger and smaller sizes later, but that depends on where you climb and if your partners have gear.

Max R · · Bend · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 292

I like dragons, I think they work well...But I don't love them. I have a .5,.75 and #1 as doubles to my C4's. They can be very awkward to pull on if you find yourself needing to french free. The extendable slings are nice to prevent walking in some situations, but not long enough make a huge difference in rope drag. I also found that when you are struggling to place a piece well over your head, the lack of thumb loop touching the back of your thumb can make the cam feel unstable and wobbly when trying to place, especially if you are cruxing out. 

All that aside. I still use them regularly. The only contraindication to buying these would be if you plan on aid climbing a lot. I've tried, and it sucks. 

al ex · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 20

500 is too beacoup unless you are giving him the friend price. 

With a little patience you can snag a set of 8 on sale for $460 from a major retailer 

Eugenel Espiritu · · Pennsylvania · Joined May 2015 · Points: 1,615

They are awesome, but you arent getting that great of a friend discount. I've been buying individuals with 20% coupons here and there since they've been released. If you wait it out, a total set at 20% off is ~$500 new. 

If the friend really needs the help and the cams are very new, might be worth it for your friendship. 

Gabe Cisneros · · Baltimore, md · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 15

Quality free climbing cams. I carry two less alpine draws because of the extendable slings on the cams. The lack of a thumb loop has never really been a problem for me, but I also have never used c4 cams or other with thumb loops. 

If they are not new new, I would suggest getting them reslung before you start using them. Especially since they are second hand. 

Sam M · · Portland, OR · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 30
Gabe Cisneros wrote:

Quality free climbing cams. I carry two less alpine draws because of the extendable slings on the cams. The lack of a thumb loop has never really been a problem for me, but I also have never used c4 cams or other with thumb loops. 

If they are not new new, I would suggest getting them reslung before you start using them. Especially since they are second hand. 

Lol. They are 3 months old

Mulch · · Jacobstown, NJ · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 1,259

I got a set of 6 for $300 from a UK website.

Eugenel Espiritu · · Pennsylvania · Joined May 2015 · Points: 1,615
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "DMM Dragon2 "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started