Mountain Project Logo

Kids Climbing Group

Original Post
Paul Dana · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2017 · Points: 0

I'm 14 years old and thinking about starting a climbing group for other kids. I want to start in the gym over the winter and eventually take it outside. The end goal is to have the kids have fun make it not a competition but just get kids to experience the sport. Does anyone have any idea ideas in where I can get funding/cheap reliable gear for this because as we all know it is an expensive sport. Thanks!!

D F · · Carbondale, CO · Joined Jun 2007 · Points: 406

Hi Paul, I assume you have at least one climbing gym near you that's accessible? If so, a good place to start would be to check with the gym(s) in the area to see if they offer the type of program you describe. They probably offer rental programs for the basic gear as well.

It is an expensive sport to get started, but not as expensive as skiing—where you have to buy tickets or a season pass every year—and not too bad once you have the essentials, assuming you take good care of your gear to ensure it lasts. I started climbing when I was your age and pretty much invested all my lawn-mowing money into cams and carabiners, and it's paid off enormously in terms of the life experiences that followed.

Best of luck!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Kids Climbing Group "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started