Mountain Project Logo

DENALI, WEST BUTTRESS MAY/JUN 2018

Original Post
LARRY BROWN · · MESA, AZ · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 0

Looking to climb Denali late May to early June.  I have climbed Rainier (Kuatz), Orzaba and Peru (2016 & 2017) including Alpamayo.  Planning on 21 days that includes weather days.  Flexible on the start date.  habu300@hotmail.com.  Larry

Jon Lawrie · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 0

I am also looking to climb Denali in 2018. I attempted this year however bad weather stopped us at the 17 camp for 4 days. I've climbed Aspiring (New Zealand), Elbrus, Manaslu and plan to get to Carstensz, Vinson, Aconcagua and Everest before Denali next year.  I wouldn't be able to start before mid June though given my Everest plans. Jon

Hi Jon,

Looks like you have an ambitious schedule.  There are 4 of us so far and plan on Denali in mid to early may.  If for some reason we push it to june I'll let you know.  Thanks. Larry

James Scully · · Denver, CO · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 0

Hi,

I live in Colorado and am looking to sign on for a Denali expedition in May or June of 2018.  Also flexible on dates and have the time.  I've done extensive winter routes here in CO, all 58 14ers, the Grand Teton and Rainier.  Looking at going to the next level and ready/willing.  Let me know if there's a spot open. -James

Hi James,

Lucky you getting to live in Colorado!  I am in Mesa, AZ.   I am planning on May but don't have the exact dates set but should around the 1st or 2nd week of May.  There are 2 of us so far, 3 counting you.  I did have 1 other but he dropped out.  I am planning on Ouray in December and hopefully Jan or Feb for ice climbing at the park or outside nearby.  I shooting for 4 climbers so one more would do it.   I will get back with you on updates and a schedule.  I will also send you a link to a pretty good training video geared for Denali.   I'll get back with you.

Larry 

Hey Larry,

Sounds good to me, I'll be standing by. A guy I climb with also told me that 4 guys is the ideal team size up there. Yeah, Colorado is a great place to live in train.  I try to get out and do a lot of ski mountaineering in the winter here and it helps keep you in shape.  You'll have fun in Ouray, its a really cool place to spend some time.  I'll keep a lookout for that video. 

The link is https://howtodenali.com/courses/159376/lectures/2405631

Log on...habu300@hotmail.com....password...ADAM3163.   I bought the course so if you have any comments or questions for Mark, pass them on to me and I will ask Mark.  The course is well done and provides a lot of information and techniques geared for Denali.  My plan is to go with 2 rope teams of 2 unless we only have 3, then just 3 of us on a rope.   If you have any problems logging on let me know.  Last year, Ouray was closed in Jan due to the warm weather so we went in the back country.  I went twice last year...I try and make it at least once a year.  I could live there, its nice.  Enjoy the course.   Cheers

Larry

Malcolm Ferguson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 0

Hi Larry,

Your other friends have decided not to join us?

Hi Malcolm,

Clint has decided not to do Denali next year...he wants to do the Kautz climb at Rainier instead.  But knowing Clint he may change his mind.  I do have another climber who has signed on...from mountain project.  So that is 3 of us...I would like to limit it to no more than 4...that would be 2 rope teams of 2.  If we have 3 then that's 3 on rope.  We don't want more than 3 on a rope.  Cant wait to do some ice climbing in Colorado and get away from this 90 degree weather.  As soon as it cools down, be back into some rock climbing here.  That's it for now.  

Larry

Larry,

No trouble logging on.  Thanks for the link and I'll be reviewing the extensive information over the next week or so.  As for the permit, I am assuming we are waiting on that until everyone is confirmed?

Hi James,

Yes, I'll apply for the permit as soon as we have firmed up our team but no later than December.  

James, can I get your email...its easier to group message everyone.  I also have the tentative itinerary 

Malcolm, can get your email...its easier to group message everyone from here on.  I also have a tentative itinerary.  Thanks

Larry

My email: habu300@hotmail.com      Cell 480-720-4321

My email: habu300@hotmail.com      Cell 480-720-4321

Sure thing Larry, its jscully205@yahoo.com and PH# is 808-286-2367. 

Mariia Tereshchenko · · Anchorage, AK · Joined Nov 2017 · Points: 0

Hey, did you guys get a full team? I'm interested. Tried to do it in 2016 but git stuck with bad weather and had to turn. I live in AK though 

Hi Mariia,

We just filled our last position yesterday, sorry.  If someone drops out I will see if you are still interested.  I'll be forming another team for May of 2019.

Larry

Ibrahim Cetindemir · · Ashford, WA · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 5

Hey guys, I am putting togheter a crew for the West Buttress next year. It will be my third Alaska trip and second time on Denali, spent a bit of time there this year but had to turn around due to a shredded tent. Shoot me an email if anyone else is interested info@ibraphotog.com 

Sid Rajan · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2018 · Points: 0

Hey guys! I'm climbing Denali with my wife this summer. We are planning on getting to Talkeetna on the 30th Of May. We're trying to lower our overall costs and the transport from Anchorage to Talkeetna tends to be cheaper with more people. So, if any of you are planing on getting to Talkeetna that day, drop me an email at dennelli84 (at) yahoo.com. Thanks. Good luck!

Gerrit Verbeek · · Anchorage, AK · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0

Hope everyone's feeling fit and ready! My team is already full and permitted, but open offer to come crash at my place in Anchorage or use it as a staging area/shipping address. 

https://www.mountainproject.com/forum/topic/114004322/need-a-place-to-stay-in-anchorage

We're headed out May 18th-June 11th and will be in Talkeetna May 5th for our mandatory orientation if anyone's looking for a ride.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Extended Trips and International Partners
Post a Reply to "DENALI, WEST BUTTRESS MAY/JUN 2018"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started