Mountain Project Logo

Water jug that actually won't leak

Original Post
nickmarcucci · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 51

Hey Guys,

I have used a few different cube style water containers, 5-6 gallons, all pretty cheap and all sure to leak unless upright. I have a little storage space under the raised bed in my truck and I want to buy a thinner profile jug to slide under on its side. Does anyone have experience with a thin (8-10 inch wide) water jug that for sure won't leak? Maybe one that doesn't have an air valve to help with flow, or has it but the jug is not punctured yet? Thanks guys, feel free to post a picture or link of what you are familiar with.

Sunny-D · · SLC, Utah · Joined Aug 2006 · Points: 700

I’ve had really good luck with MSR dromedary bags. 

I have a dromedary for cragging and such but I more am talking about a containers of at least 5 gallons for my truck 

Allen Sanderson · · On the road to perdition · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 1,203

Take a look at these or similar: https://rotopax.com

highaltitudeflatulentexpulsion · · Colorado · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 35

I don't really think it exists. It seems that positioning is more important, as in placing it upright when not in use.

Max R · · Bend · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 292

I've been through quite a few jugs as well. I've had good luck with this one so far. 

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/scepter--5-gallon-water-container--1914969?recordNum=3

Jonathan Roy · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 0

I had the same problem, and fixed it by just sealing the air valve. If you heat up a butterknife or similar on a blowtorch or stove, you can use that to melt the plastic from around the hole and from the plug itself and totally seal it up. It doesn't pour super well, but it never leaks.

I ended up buying one of these "military spec" Scepters. If anyone is interested I'll keep you posted on quality and leakproofness

Derek DeBruin · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 1,039
nickmarcucci wrote:

I ended up buying one of these "military spec" Scepters. If anyone is interested I'll keep you posted on quality and leakproofness

Concur--the military surplus ones (similar to the picture above) don't leak. They are commonly used in the rafting industry for that reason.

Norm Larson · · Wilson, Wy. · Joined Jan 2008 · Points: 60

Yup scepter jugs don't leak and will last forever. Worth the cost.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Water jug that actually won't leak"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started