Mountain Project Logo

Best campsite near moab?

Original Post
Sean Sullivan · · Fresno, CA · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 1,664

Free, pay, whatever. Im curious if anyone is willing to share a favorite spot. Im partial to a nice view, i dont mind driving up to 45 minutes from town, i have 4x4 and clearance. Any suggestions would be treasured. 

Sam Thurman · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 0

Here is my personal favorite; http://www.outdoorsinutah.com/kanecreek-camping.htm The further up the canyon you go the less people there are, but there are also wonderful spots less than 5 miles in.

Kyle Taylor · · Broomfield CO · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0

I've stayed at slick rock. I really liked it a bunch. Watch for flash floods if rain is in the forecast.

Thanks everyone! Solid tips  

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Josh Cameron wrote:

Or just drive down any dirt road till you find something that suits your fancy.

Legality will depend on exactly which dirt road and where. Unlike most BLM land, the areas immediately around Moab do not allow dispersed camping.

Study this:

Matt Castelli · · Denver · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 280

Castleton

Adam Orton wrote:

People do as people do regardless of the rules or don’t you read the papers? You don’t know me nor do I know you so don’t assume things you don’t know. On a side note. I don’t do campfires. I think they are useless unless you’re actually using them to cook on. I use wag bags and don’t go romping about on trackless soil. Again, to the original poster. Do not be deterred by negative people. Literally never had a negative thing said by anyone there or in Indian backcountry camping out of the truck. Then again I didn’t set up anything that couldn’t be moved in less than 5 mins, set up around 8 every night and left by 7 every morning. Don’t be stupid man and you’ll be good to go. We set ourselves up for camping closest to where we’d be climbing for the day and we were never more than a 10 min drive away from where we camped and a couple times we never had to leave. 

1. I'm in the same situation. Back of the truck, nothing outside the truck, easy to move. I agree with both sides of this. I've seen what douchebag boondockers do to blm land with their campers shit. I've also camped at some of the most beautiful places, for free. The land is set aside for that, use it!!! Oh and I guess it's a fact, surfers have better imaginations then climbers, they're also more creative and have more fun. Mind blown. Thanks for the wisdom bro. 
gspup · · Sweet Ridge, CO · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 5
S2k4life wrote:

I think some ? people? Would consider this bragging to a degree

That's not bragging. It's so easy to camp for free in Moab it's amazing people even ask here. For real though. 

grog m · · Saltlakecity · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 70

Hey lets keep secret Moab camping spots low-key. Private messages if youre going to share a good one please. 

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
gspup wrote:

That's not bragging. It's so easy to camp for free in Moab it's amazing people even ask here. For real though. 

Well, if you're camping in a tent and not inside a truck or van, would you leave your camp set up in one of the free areas and expect to find your stuff when you come back from a day of climbing?  And consider that the OP asked for the "best" campsite - ideally with a view - and not necessarily a free campsite.

S2k4life wrote:

Lol now your bragging , for real tho tell us then and put some information up instead of your opinion how easy it is and why would someone ask for real tho

The guy you quoted me from admitted in his thread to camping illegally and was clearly ranting about it and telling others don't wry you can do it.

It’s really not bragging. Anyone with a few brain cells and knowledge of BLM and FS rules should have no problem camping for free out west. 

S2k4life, here you go : find dirt road on BLM land, drive, camp anywhere you’d like. Be respectful to the land and all is good. 

Marc801 Chrusch wrote:

Well, if you're camping in a tent and not inside a truck or van, would you leave your camp set up in one of the free areas and expect to find your stuff when you come back from a day of climbing?  And consider that the OP asked for the "best" campsite - ideally with a view - and not necessarily a free campsite.

I leave my camp setup always, never had anything stolen yet. The best camp sites with views are always the free spots coincidentally enough. 

I’m not going to spray my favorite spots to Moab noobs. 

S2k4life wrote:

Yea noobs don't use the internet ,but you could just move a couple 100 yards further down, as long as your on a dirt road , just keep leaving your site setup and leave your climbing gear sitting out too along with your food 

Ok, this doesn't make much sense for a few reasons. Mainly, why would I leave my climbing gear sitting out at camp while I'm climbing ? SMH

S2k4life wrote:

I didn't know you only leave your camp set up if your climbing.

What if you gotta run into town for supplies? Would you take your tent gear with you? Or what if you wanted to go on a hike or a free scramble or boulder.? 

Your right tho, it doesnt make sense 

So just keep leaving your gear set up whenever you leave your site, if your not climbing, leave your gear out and if your not eating just leave your food out too, all good practices to practice 

You make a lot of assumptions don't you. 

My tent stays at camp when I go to town, climb or whatever the fuck else I decide to do that day.

Gear and 'cooler' are always locked in the car when I leave camp. 

Let's stop communicating now, happy climbing. 

Nick Goldsmith · · Pomfret VT · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 440
Nick Goldsmith · · Pomfret VT · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 440

Spray on the internet about your favorite free campsite for everyone to see including LEO. next time you go camping there it sports a big fat No camping sign and the man rousts you in the middle of the night and writes you a big fat ticket... who's the asshole.........

M Mobley · · Bar Harbor, ME · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 911
michael s · · Denver, CO · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 80

Arches NP always has sites open. 

S2k4 Life wrote:

Wooa, I know your not hating on my s2000 with 200000 miles, bc if you are you clearly have no idea what your talking about, it's cool tho mad ppl hate on the s, sometimes It could be bc it's loud which I love other then that I can only think it's bc their jelly

you made it through a mud puddle in that??? no way! so rad brah

S2k4 Life wrote:

Well a mud puddle is off road, Dude I've made it through so much shit, pic 4 is mud puddle pic 2 is clearly a pond for those that didn't know the S can make it over a speed bump or go off roading or backcountry camp

Hahaha you top rope bro? Super rad, teach me?

I love the people on here who don't even know where their from and can't even put a descent pic up of themself on their page lol makes me laugh

yeah, those were some deep tracks in the mud puddle brah. do ya think my moms Acura will do it too?

S2k4 MattOates · · Kremmling, CO · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 126
T Roper wrote:

yeah, those were some deep tracks in the mud puddle brah. do ya think my moms Acura will do it too?

You mean so deep that you can't see any tracks through all the water? Couple inches of soupy mud would pretty hard to get thru, esp. Since the s2000 yes has very little clearance

my whole point here, is it's off road, and clearly how people hate on the s2000 lol but don't know what their talking bout

Is that what you drive your mom's Acura lol it would go sure and she's got good taste since honda makes acura 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Best campsite near moab?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started