Mountain Project Logo

Tool pick removal

Original Post
t.farrell · · New York, NY · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 60

Does anyone have any tips for loosening the bolts on an ice tool head? I broke my Allen wrench before the bolt the bolt would move. 

beaki · · San Jose · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 100
t.farrell wrote:

Does anyone have any tips for loosening the bolts on an ice tool head? I broke my Allen wrench before the bolt the bolt would move. 

soak in WD40 before trying or manual impact driver; check this video out, jump to 2:50 and you get the idea; 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Og0wilzMtXY

alpinejason · · Minneapolis · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 176

Which tool? I cut/ground them off a Grivel Quantum Tech before. I remember they (Grivel) purposefully damage the threads of the bolt after it's installed or something similar. 

Benjamin Mitchell · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 0

I had this same problem last year! I went to change the picks on my Vipers after a few seasons of usage and I couldn't get the bolt to budge. Got out the compressor and impact wrench and it popped right off. 

Skibo · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 5

Use a penetrant like Liquid Wrench or PB (works better than WD40).  Spray on liberally, let sit for a day, and hit it again. You can also tap the wrench with a hammer as you're trying to loosen it.  Once you get the bolts loose, you can then lube them or put anti-seize paste on them.  

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Ice Climbing
Post a Reply to "Tool pick removal "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started