Mountain Project Logo

What are the rules on MP?

Original Post
Alex McKenzie · · Nevada city, CA · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 2,664

Not too long ago, I had an admin take off some of my routes because of a few reasons, which I would consider rules. But I couldn't find a list of rules on MP at all. Only some guidelines when adding comments. If an admin or someone else could give me a list of rules, I would appreciate it!

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276

Alex, you're 14 years old? Don't worry about posting routes, just climb and learn. 

grog m · · Saltlakecity · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 70

Rule #1 don't be a jerk. 

Rule #2-100 based on how much admin likes you. 

s.price wrote:

I can't help with rules but noticed in your profile you have only been climbing for a few months and have suggested a rating for the Heart Route on El Cap. Did you actually climb it? If not what qualifies you to suggest a rating. IMO honesty is always a great rule.

wait... I did? Actually, I sometimes suggest a new protection rating based in the information sometimes, so maybe that's it. I'm not that good at climbing yet XD

chris blatchley · · woodinville, wa · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 6

i propose a rule where people only tag photos as beta photos if they _actually_ contain some route finding beta.

Andrew Child · · Corvallis, Or · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 1,505
Alex McKenzie wrote:

wait... I did? Actually, I sometimes suggest a new protection rating based in the information sometimes, so maybe that's it. I'm not that good at climbing yet XD

You shouldn't suggest grades or even protection ratings without actually climbing the route. If everyone did what you did then the informed opinions of the people who climbed the routes would get lost in a sea of uniformed ratings.

Christian RodaoBack · · Tucson, AZ · Joined Jul 2005 · Points: 1,486

The rule is you should always downrate routes you sent on toprope - and it seems like you are following the rule so it's all good.

Mark Says · · Basalt, CO · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 395

Alex, even though you walked face first into this I figured I'd get you a cushion for the ass whooping you're gonna be taking.

On a side note, be very careful what wording you use when searching Google for an, um, something nice to sit on. 

Kevin DeWeese · · @failfalling - Oakland, Ca · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 981

Maybe spend less time posting "FA's" of 8' no star boulder problems that aren't even problems. It's probably cool to feel like the site is showing how much you've done as a just-starting-out boulderer but you might want to follow this rule: "Would anyone who is not me, care about this route and benefit from this information due to their desire to repeat what I've done." If you're posting for other people's information, that's good. If you're posting for your ego, that's less good.

This one is prob a good example

No. Just, No 

V0 

Average: bomb 0 (1 votes)

Type: Boulder, 8'

Original: Hueco: V0 [details

FA: Alex McKenzie

New Route: Yes

Submitted By: Alex McKenzie on Oct 24, 2017

Description 

This route is a nearly featureless, mossy wall that ascends the tallest vertical part of the big rock near the Jail.

How to ascend
1. Jump onto the rock
2. Hope you stick
3. Scramble up the rest of the rock
4. Scream in victory
5. Give yourself extra appreciation if you climbed up this rock legitimately.

This route is technically not in the Hirschman's Pond area, but it is so close that I had to put it here.

On the big rock near the jail. Once you park in the Hirschman's Pond parking lot, cross the road. Go around the rock until you find a part that is vertical. Climb the highest possible vertical spot on the back side of the rock.

Protection 

None, this route is relatively safe.

Lol, This one is awesome: Nothing like downgrading a problem by 3 whole grades. 

Statistics for Ice caves at the Skillet Glacier

V16 YDS

Suggested Ratings

Alex McKenzie V13

Climb On · · Everywhere · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 0
Alex McKenzie wrote:

Suggesting new protection ratings without actually climbing a route can be downright dangerous. Same goes for downgrading routes. 

Dead Head · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 65

Give the poor boy a break, he's 14.  He has dreams to be a great climber, and hasn't climbed enough to understand MP ethics.  

Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,610
s.price wrote:

Not cool young one. You are screwing with the data with false input. If you haven't climbed it your opinion is worthless.

"Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always." - s.price

M. Morley wrote:

Alex, as I previously answered in another thread 3 days ago, it is considered poor form to post, assign a difficulty rating, quality rating, or give any opinion whatsoever on a route/problem for which you have absolutely no first hand experience. I think Frank's advice above is spot on.

Examples:

https://www.mountainproject.com/route/stats/110644695/heart-route-free
https://www.mountainproject.com/route/stats/110088235/lucid-dreaming
https://www.mountainproject.com/route/stats/111415604/ice-caves-at-the-skillet-glacier
https://www.mountainproject.com/route/stats/105908296/evilution
https://www.mountainproject.com/route/stats/106116770/night-train

Yes, I get you. I haven't done any of this stuff since you told me about it. These are all past stuff.

Joe Lindberg wrote:

Give the poor boy a break, he's 14.  He has dreams to be a great climber, and hasn't climbed enough to understand MP ethics.  

Thank you, you're a good man.

Guy Keesee · · Moorpark, CA · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 349
climberish · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 10

I mean.... if a troll smells like a troll.... then... probably a troll...

Paul Hutton · · Nephi, UT · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 740

I just watched the video of the 14 year old, Ruan, sending Just Do It 5.14c at Smith Rock. Takes years to build that strength and understanding. Trying these challenges will make you a valued member in the community, and everything in your past will transfer to new challenges that you pursue. 

M Sprague · · New England · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 5,090
kevin deweese wrote:

Maybe spend less time posting "FA's" of 8' no star boulder problems that aren't even problems. It's probably cool to feel like the site is showing how much you've done as a just-starting-out boulderer but you might want to follow this rule: "Would anyone who is not me, care about this route and benefit from this information due to their desire to repeat what I've done." If you're posting for other people's information, that's good. If you're posting for your ego, that's less good.

This one is prob a good example

Lol, This one is awesome: Nothing like downgrading a problem by 3 whole grades. 

I give him A- for his description though; creative, descriptive and engaging, good spelling, grammar and punctuation, and good directions.

Buff Johnson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2005 · Points: 1,145

rule #231 - don't eat yellow snow

Franck Vee · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 260
Christian wrote:

The rule is you should always downrate routes you sent on toprope - and it seems like you are following the rule so it's all good.

You can also downgrade while handogging a lot - "hey I did all the moves and could send it for SURE"

Kevin DeWeese · · Oakland, CA · Joined May 2014 · Points: 1
Alex McKenzie wrote:

Yes, I get you. I haven't done any of this stuff since you told me about it. These are all past stuff.

Yes, why bring up the past, you know, from 72 hours ago. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Help
Post a Reply to "What are the rules on MP?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started