Mountain Project Logo

Tahoe 6" offwidths

Original Post
abandon moderation · · Tahoe · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 54

Anyone know where to find a good 5.9/5.10 OW around Tahoe that's 6 inches?

I've been running laps on a few good 5" ones but looking for something a bit wider to force new technique.

Ryan Pfleger · · Boise, ID · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 25

How wide is the Crystal Bay boulder crack?

Ryan Pfleger wrote:

How wide is the Crystal Bay boulder crack?

It's about 5" at the top. Still ends up being butterflies or a hand fist stack for me.

Dancog · · Sin City · Joined Dec 2009 · Points: 15

The Leap has a couple I think. Under the Big Top, Eeyore’s Enigma, Fat Merchant Crack at Sugarloaf. Up at Eagle Lake cliff is The Vulture and Buster Brown. 

Dancog wrote:

The Leap has a couple I think. Under the Big Top, Eeyore’s Enigma, Fat Merchant Crack at Sugarloaf. Up at Eagle Lake cliff is The Vulture and Buster Brown. 

Good list, thanks! The only one I've been on is Fat Merchant Crack, I'll check out the others.

Dow Williams · · St. George, Utah; Canmore, AB · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 240

Eeyore's Enigma in my opinion is the best OW 5.10 at the Leap.  It will be different than most anything you have done.  Best done as a continuation/link up of Tombstone Terror (5.10c).

Warrior wrote:

If you are up at Eagle be sure to check out the aptly named Barney Rubble. It is about as OW as it gets for the grade in Tahoe from my poor memory.  Probably very dirty, can't imagine it is done much.  Those others are good too but more fist size iirc (again from spotty memory).

Haan Variation of DNF at the leap as well...5.9+ OW. Very airy and fun.

Theres also a good bit at Pie Shop, Shelobs Lair, Mad Wife, and I can't remember if it's P2 of Deliverance or Desiderata ( P1 is thin crack), Natural High- although that is more a roof than ow technically.  

Black Wall at donner has some good pitches but more flare/chim like Rats Tooth/Black September/ than what you are looking for....still good though. GLHF

Cool, thanks! I've done a lot of the wide stuff at Black Wall, but I'll have to check out the pie shop with winter coming. I looked in the Reid guide and didn't find anything obviously wide.

It looks like a trip to Eagle Lake is in order before the snow comes.

Dow Williams wrote:

Eeyore's Enigma in my opinion is the best OW 5.10 at the Leap.  It will be different than most anything you have done.  Best done as a continuation/link up of Tombstone Terror (5.10c).

Haha, do I see a helmet left for the second?  

I'll have to check it out, looks cool!

GizzardJones · · Pollock Pines, CA · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 610
GizzardJones · · Pollock Pines, CA · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 610

BUMP for the Old Peculiar area!!! worth the stomp out there! all those route's are amazing! 

DrewSmith · · Tahoe City, CA · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 116

Definitely check out self abuse at sugarloaf and Rick & Eric’s at snowshed. 

Colonel Mustard · · Sacramento, CA · Joined Sep 2005 · Points: 1,241

Self Abuse is no 5.10+. In Yosemite it might be rated 5.9. More of a squeeze than an OW. 

Rick and Eric’s only has a smidge of wide.

JO’s at Rainbow is fairly legit OW, 4”-6”. Dead vertical and without too much extraneous stuff to detract from the “fun”.

Dow’s rec of Tombstone to Eeyore’s makes not much sense outside of not-so-subtle spray.

GizzardJones wrote:

I'm back in Tahoe after getting thrashed by jtree offwidths, looking for more fun!

Eli Buzzell · · noco · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 5,507
kendallt wrote:

Got any suggestions on Woodfords? Planning to head there this weekend.

I found a picture of this beauty but not sure where in woodfords it's at just yet:

I'm back in Tahoe after getting thrashed by jtree offwidths, looking for more fun!

There's a squeeze chimney boulder problem at the leap that's worth running laps on.

Eli wrote:

There's a squeeze chimney boulder problem at the leap that's worth running laps on.

This one? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiAVM1JNtbk Looks dope, not sure about the guy is crimping his way up it though. I have no bouldering pad but I might have to get one for next year.

With the weather forecast being somewhat questionable I figure Woodfords has better chance of no rain/snow than the Leap this weekend

Eli Buzzell · · noco · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 5,507
kendallt wrote:

This one? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiAVM1JNtbk Looks dope, not sure about the guy is crimping his way up it though. I have no bouldering pad but I might have to get one for next year.

With the weather forecast being somewhat questionable I figure Woodfords has better chance of no rain/snow than the Leap this weekend

No, that one is insanely gnarly, I'm taking about the 5.10 squeeze chimney

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern California
Post a Reply to "Tahoe 6" offwidths"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started