Mountain Project Logo

Ouray in December

Original Post
Carter Smith · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 10

Hey!

So a friend and I are planning some sort of climbing trip out to CO this December (~15th-15th) and I was wondering what y'all thought the odds of Ouray Ice Park being in is. To me, it looks like a safe bet, but before making solid plans etc. I thought I'd check what you all thought!

Cheers,
Carter

luke smith · · Salt Lake City, Utah · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 121

It hasn't been open by the 15th the last couple of years- usually right around or after Christmas, and they only opened certain sections around that time.  That being said there is almost always climbable ice up Camp Bird road around that time and in other areas in the backcountry.  

Benjamin Chapman · · Small Town, USA · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 19,012

Don't COUNT ON THE ICE PARK  being open that early, but the backcountry ice will be in.

Ryan Hamilton · · Orem · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 5

Yeah, it will likely be open, but barely. Even then many sections probably won't be open, like Five Fingers and South Park. Scottish Gullies and Schoolroom will probably be open. Schoolroom gets old kinda fast, but Scottish Gullies can be fun, especially if you're working some of the mixed lines. I have found Jan. before or after the ice festival to be a good time. The park is usually in good condition by then and you don't have the crowds of the festival to deal with. Lots of rad lines outside the park. I always feel like it's my Disneyland whenever I go there. Always fun!

Matt Sutinen · · Milwaukee, WI · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 0

A buddy and I booked a guided climb there on 12/23.  I hope we'll be able to get some climbing in!

Carter Smith · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 10

Awesome, thank you all for the beta/answers!

Kevin Zagorda · · Glen Haven, Co · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 600

You may already know this, but I'll say it anyway.  Even though the backcountry ice may be in, make sure you know the avy danger for the specific climb you will attempt.  Early season before the full winter snowpack is typically safer, but if it dumps be prepared to change plans. You can always check the board at Ouray Mountain Sports.

Michael Wicker · · Durango, CO · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 40

They are shooting for Christmas Day to open the Ouray Ice Park.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Ice Climbing
Post a Reply to "Ouray in December"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started