Mountain Project Logo

Glue-In Bolts for delivery in Montenegro

Original Post
Josh Cook · · CO · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 3,339

I'm hoping there is some good beta out there about getting marine-grade, glue-in bolts shipped to Montenegro. Does anyone know of the best company to go through? The ones I've checked (from the U.K., Italy, and Slovenia) charge more for shipping than the actual bolts cost. 

John Byrnes · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined Dec 2007 · Points: 392

I have quite a bit of experience with this type of thing.   

First of all, are you talking "marine grade" stainless?   If you are placing them near the coast, they will break in about 10 years because of SCC.  "Marine grade" means nothing. For coastal areas, you need titanium:  www.titanclimbing.com 

My solution to the shipping was to find climbers/friends who could pick up the bolts at the supplier's location in one country and bring them in their baggage to another.   (In my case, the duty would have doubled the shipping charge!)   I've never had a problem.    I've had bolts brought from Thailand and the U.K. at different times, to different places, this way.  

MP is a good place to recruit climbers to bring them to you (or deliver them where ever you need them).

Jim Titt · · Germany · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 490
Josh Cook wrote:

I'm hoping there is some good beta out there about getting marine-grade, glue-in bolts shipped to Montenegro. Does anyone know of the best company to go through? The ones I've checked (from the U.K., Italy, and Slovenia) charge more for shipping than the actual bolts cost. 

I´ve shipped to Montenegro before from Germany (for further transport to one of your neighbouring countries) and to Albania, Croatia, Slovenia, Serbia and most other places down in the Balkans. The customs your end can be a bit funny (or expensive) but that´s life, we send them out with the correct papers though!

The cost is just a question of quantity, for our smallest bolt you can get 500 in a 31,5kg parcel and the shipping then costs 0.124c (€) per bolt. Smaller numbers get proportionally more expensive, for example 30 bolts costs 0.50c each for transport, the weights and costs you can see on the DHL website. 

My company is http://www.bolt-products.com/ProtectionBolts.htm send me a mail with what you are interested in at sales@bolt-products.com and I´ll see what I can do. Don´t forget to remove the VAT from our posted prices as Montenegro is non-EU (divide by 1.19).

Ignore John Byrnes, he probably thinks Montenegro is in Africa       I´ve actually been there and looked at the rock, I´ve also bolted routes in Albania and a lot in Greece amongst other places. 

Jim Titt wrote:

Ignore John Byrnes, he probably thinks Montenegro is in Africa       I´ve actually been there and looked at the rock, I´ve also bolted routes in Albania and a lot in Greece amongst other places. 

Ignore Jim Titt, he has a vested interest in selling you hardware that isn't appropriate for coastal areas.  And I do know where Montenegro is.   

Hey Jim, so you've bolted in Greece... on the coast?  How long ago?  Got any photos of your bolts today?   

karl Smith · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2017 · Points: 0

Jim Titt knows what he's talking about- I've used his glue ins on North Wales sea cliffs (he supplies the bolt fund) and climbed his routes in Sicily. John Byrnes is maybe thinking of tropical marine environments,(e.g. cayman Brac, Thailand) where Titanium is necessary, but it's hugely expensive compared to 316 stainless which is used in mediterranean environments. 

I've never met Jim Titt, and have no vested interest in his products, but am inclined to take his word on this one. I've used a company called barrabes in the past also for glue-in bolts: they supply fixe and Petzl via mail order, not sure how they compare in price to Bolt Products.

John Byrnes wrote:

Ignore Jim Titt, he has a vested interest in selling you hardware that isn't appropriate for coastal areas.  And I do know where Montenegro is.   

Hey Jim, so you've bolted in Greece... on the coast?  How long ago?  Got any photos of your bolts today?   

Sure, 16 years ago and more, direct on the coast like 2m above the sea-water. A new guide came out a month go and not one bolt has had to be replaced since I put them in.

Quality 316 bolts are perfectly adequate for Mediteranean coastal areas, not that it is particularly relevant to Montenegro where the coast is generally montonously flat. 

There are already four routes at the Kotor crag that I want to continue to develop that were put in with stainless glue-ins. They are around five years old and seem unaffected. I’ll contact you soon Jim and let you know what I need and we’ll look at shipping prices. Last quote I saw from the UK was over 100€ (that’s only the shipping price) to ship 40 bolts. I’d like to cut that price down significantly. I could do a pick-up in Dubrovnik too. 

Jim Titt wrote:

Sure, 16 years ago and more, direct on the coast like 2m above the sea-water. A new guide came out a month go and not one bolt has had to be replaced since I put them in.

16 years is pretty good.   We'll have to wait to see if you get to 30.  

Quality 316 bolts are perfectly adequate for Mediteranean coastal areas,

I don't believe that for a minute, considering the SCC found in coastal Portugal, Italy and Greece.    Do you belive in Global Climate Change, Jim?

Karl: You're right that in the Tropics stainless SCC is a huge problem but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen in colder areas.  As is true of almost all chemical reactions, "colder" just means the process happens more slowly.    North Wales might be so cold our grandchildren won't see it, but in the Med it's being found in many places starting at about 10 years from installation.    

Tropics: eg. Thailand, stainless bolts have broken due to SCC in as little as 9 months.

Temperate: eg. coastal California, less than 10 years.  They've switched to Ti. 

Temperate: eg. Mediterranean, approximately 10 years to maybe 30.  

Josh Cook wrote:

There are already four routes at the Kotor crag that I want to continue to develop that were put in with stainless glue-ins. They are around five years old and seem unaffected. I’ll contact you soon Jim and let you know what I need and we’ll look at shipping prices. Last quote I saw from the UK was over 100€ (that’s only the shipping price) to ship 40 bolts. I’d like to cut that price down significantly. I could do a pick-up in Dubrovnik too. 

The parcel costs from the UK are bonkers generally! I´d ship 40 bolts out for about €25, for €29.99 you can have 5kg worth of the things which is about 80.

We looked at some stuff in Kotor but nothing really grabbed us to get the drill out, nice place though, seemed more like mountain style routes than sport crags. Spent a miserable night in a quarry somewhere above on the road north, kind of hard to find somewhere flat to camp in that area.

There's a nice little amphitheater behind the bus station with some steep walls on good rock. One section could accommodate a few two-pitch routes as well. The whole crag will have room for about 100 lines, I think. Since I'll be living here for a few years, it's worth my time to expand on the climbing. The real mecca for sport routes in MNE though is Smokavac, outside of Podgorica. There are crags for days, really easy approach, and good rock. I know the guys down there would love to have more people out to bolt. Klemen Becan just but up some routes up there, including an 8b+.

Josh Cook wrote:

There's a nice little amphitheater behind the bus station with some steep walls on good rock. One section could accommodate a few two-pitch routes as well. The whole crag will have room for about 100 lines, I think. Since I'll be living here for a few years, it's worth my time to expand on the climbing. The real mecca for sport routes in MNE though is Smokavac, outside of Podgorica. There are crags for days, really easy approach, and good rock. I know the guys down there would love to have more people out to bolt. Klemen Becan just but up some routes up there, including an 8b+.

We went to Smocovac one Easter, it was snowing  

John Byrnes wrote:

I don't believe that for a minute, considering the SCC found in coastal Portugal, Italy and Greece.    Do you belive in Global Climate Change, Jim?

Portugal still isn´t in the Mediteranean. 

By the time Montenegro has a tropical climate the world will have bigger problems than a few bolts.

Jim, I've sent you an email at your site. There's also a distributor in Croatia that I'm talking with, so I'll have to look at overall price comparisons. 

Jim Titt wrote:

Portugal still isn´t in the Mediteranean. 

Same climate for the purposes of this discussion.

By the time Montenegro has a tropical climate the world will have bigger problems than a few bolts.

That wan't my point.  My point was people who deny something that's inconvenient in the face of overwhelming evidence.   

boogiecha · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 0

@Boogiecha

Yes, come on by! I'm living in Tivat and I'm psyched. There is a small crew here of newbie climbers that are also getting more excited and more experience. It'll help to have a bigger, more developed climbing area in Kotor. Let me know before you come out and maybe we can order some more hardware.

boogiecha · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 0

PM sent

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

International
Post a Reply to "Glue-In Bolts for delivery in Montenegro"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.