Mountain Project Logo

Loading an ATC

Original Post
Ryan Underwood · · Laguna Hills, CA · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 55

"Troll, Yer Gonna Die" - Get it over with.

I once read that loading the ATC in the opposite side of your brake hand will put curls into your rope.  Can anybody confirm this? I can't seem to find the article, forum post or anything about it. Maybe I made it up? ha

amarius · · Nowhere, OK · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 20

Rock and Ice had a bit about ATC twisting ropes, is this it?

Ropes usually only kink to the extreme when they are weighted, either during rappelling or lowering.It is telling that your partner doesn’t share the same kink. My hunch is that you aren’t properly using the ATC, while she is.

Kinks Be Gone! How to Rappel and Lower Without Twisting the Rope

chris blatchley · · woodinville, wa · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 6

The key to avoiding kinks is to keep the rope along the same plane as it moves through devices. That will even prevent munters from kinking the rope.

mcarizona · · Flag · Joined Feb 2007 · Points: 180

I've been blaming that on my partner, who is a lefty.

Thanks for the responses. Not the article but some good info.    It was more about putting the bite of rope through the left tube on an ATC if your right handed or vice versa for lefties.  

I remember it saying that this puts a kink every time you pull rope through because of the orientation of the rope as it gets pulled.  

I'm going to test it at a gym I work at on retired rope.   We'll see.  

Serge S · · Seattle, WA · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 685

Interesting coincidence - just yesterday I was loading it wrong to balance out the wear on the carabiner and later noticed the rope twisting.  It didn't occur to me that the two were related, but maybe your source is right.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Loading an ATC"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started