Mountain Project Logo

Cochamo and/or Frey in January

Original Post
Lisa S · · Bishop, CA · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 0

I've been tossing around the idea of heading down this January with a friend...but it looks like she'll likely be benched d/t a shoulder injury. 

I'm leading 10+/low 11s these days, though hopefully I'll be a bit more in shape by then :)

I only want to book the trip if I can find a dedicated partner who is safe, stoked and ready to have fun!

Ideally we could meet and climb first to make sure the partnership clicks. I'm based out of SF but have the flexibility to travel. 

El Duderino · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 70

Not available, but my understanding Frey is a lot more forgiving when it comes to moderates compared to Cochamo.  If you're waffling between the two, then I would go with Frey given what you're leading.

JeffL · · Salt Lake City · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 65

I was in both Cochamo and Frey last winter.  You will likely find partners in Cochamo.  Frey, less likely to find partners in my opinion.  Your most important consideration should be weather.

Medic741 · · Des Moines, IA (WTF) · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 265

Never had a problem finding partners in Frey, it’s a magical place & easy to get to!

nickmarcucci · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 51

I spent 6 weeks in the Frey a handful of years ago solo and never had an issue meeting climbers to go out with. Also check out Piedra Parada if it is not too hot!

Brian Banta · · Pacifica, CA · Joined May 2012 · Points: 50

Lisa,

I am flying down to BA on New Years, and plan to be in Frey the first one or two weeks of January.  I am a relatively new leader, so I will be praying to the partner gods to deliver!  Hopefully it is as easy as most people say to meet other climbers.  Hit me up either before, or when you are down there.

-Brian

Jonas gr · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 0

I'm gonna be in Cochamó from late January through early march, if you are flying down let me know 

J watermelon · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 0

I'll be leaving tucuman the 1st week of January for frey. I'm looking for a partner as well. I'll have a rope and rack.  If you want to climb , I'm up near the valley until Monday.  Shuteye ridge is very nice as well

Robin S · · Durango, CO · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 41

There's good odds I'll be in that area around that time. Really haven't set any destinations in stone yet, but Frey is definitely on my list. I would be interested in meeting up if we're in the same area at the same time.

Lisa S · · Bishop, CA · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 0

Hey all, 

thanks for the replies!

i found a partner...flying out 12/29-1/18, planning to spend the time in Cochamo. 

I'll be camping in the meodow, hopefully it'll be good weather & I'll see some of you there!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

International
Post a Reply to "Cochamo and/or Frey in January "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started