Mountain Project Logo

Acronyms for Climbing

Original Post
IcePick · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 100

SERENE and ERNEST have become popular acronyms for climbing anchors and has been distributed throughout the community, most everyone knows what it means, So triggered by this:

https://www.mountainproject.com/forum/topic/113735131/knot-your-rope-ends-when-lowering

Why not develop an acronym for tying knots in the end of the rope not only for Lowering but also for Rappeling.

I’m not a gym climber but Lowering is the common method of bringing the climber back to the ground, correct me if I’m wrong but I do not think tying a knot in the end of the rope is standard practice because the route is not that long so running out of rope is not actually going to happen, Gyms are pumping out more and more climbers and some will transition onto the actual rock as some point without the knowledge needed to stay alive.

I have thought of an acronym for tying a knot in the end of the rope, Please everyone think of an acronym (because acronyms are catchy and people remember them) for not only this topic but maybe something else of importance as well.

TAKE   -Tie A Knot Everytime-

Marc Yamamoto · · Flagstaff, AZ · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 20

Or.... have some semblance of self preservation and learn all the necessary skills.  People need to realize that "rock" climbing isn't safe, but a risk mitigation sport.   I'm sure there are books, videos, and classes that teach these sorts of things.  

An acronym won't save anyone.  

Jason Todd · · Cody, WY · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 1,114

DFUoYGD

Jason Todd wrote:

DFUoYGD

Counterproductive 

Connor FM · · Bowlder, CO · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 186

F.E.A.R.

Fuck Everything And Rap

Bryan K · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 525
IcePick wrote:

SERENE and ERNEST have become popular acronyms for climbing anchors and has been distributed throughout the community, most everyone knows what it means, So triggered by this:

https://www.mountainproject.com/forum/topic/113735131/knot-your-rope-ends-when-lowering

Why not develop an acronym for tying knots in the end of the rope not only for Lowering but also for Rappeling.

I’m not a gym climber but Lowering is the common method of bringing the climber back to the ground, correct me if I’m wrong but I do not think tying a knot in the end of the rope is standard practice because the route is not that long so running out of rope is not actually going to happen, Gyms are pumping out more and more climbers and some will transition onto the actual rock as some point without the knowledge needed to stay alive.

I have thought of an acronym for tying a knot in the end of the rope, Please everyone think of an acronym (because acronyms are catchy and people remember them) for not only this topic but maybe something else of importance as well.

TAKE   -Tie A Knot Everytime-

I wasn't expecting this level of discussion, but I'm glad it's become a talking point.  If even one person gets saved from an accident, I'll be very happy.

As for the acronym, I don't think TAKE would be good because that word is already used for another purpose in climbing.  I think something like KITE (Knots In The End) would be better.  "Make sure to KITE before you FLY."

bkozak wrote:

I wasn't expecting this level of discussion, but I'm glad it's become a talking point.  If even one person gets saved from an accident, I'll be very happy.

As for the acronym, I don't think TAKE would be good because that word is already used for another purpose in climbing.  I think something like KITE (Knots In The End) would be better.  "Make sure to KITE before you FLY."

I thought TAKE might be a good starting point because it IS a word already used therefore might trigger the brain, Acronyms are popular esp among the youth which are the ones most likely to transition gym to rock.

KITE is good.  Thumbs up

Kevin R · · Boulder, CO · Joined May 2008 · Points: 290

I use this acronym every time I hit the crag so I remember to bring all the essentials, and ensure everyone has a good time!

D - Dog

U - Unsupervised kids

M - Masculinity (the toxic kind)

B - Be from Boulder

A - Auto-locking belay device (AKA Gri-Gri)

S - Shirt off, Beanie ON!

S - Speakers for the sick BEATS!!

Hamish Hamish · · Fredericksburg, VA · Joined May 2017 · Points: 15
K. Le Douche wrote:

I use this acronym every time I hit the crag so I remember to bring all the essentials, and ensure everyone has a good time!

D - Dog

U - Unsupervised kids

B - Be from Boulder

Pretty sure that B is for "Banana Peels"

JonasMR · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 6

Useful acronyms are the ones that list all the things you need to keep an eye on when doing a task.  I still use ABC for raps: check to make sure your rope is correctly through the Anchor, Belay device, and Carabiner.  

If your goal is more than just not dying on your rap, you can add on 'DE'.  This is for Direction you're going, and Ends (knotted, on your loop, etc).  ABCDE.

Dave Baker · · Wiltshire · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 303

Acronyms are good.

My rappel acronym is BARK for the things I check. Every time.

Buckles (harness re-check)

Anchor (is it sound?)

Rope and Rappel device (rope threaded correctly? all lockers locked?)

Knots (obvs)

aikibujin · · Castle Rock, CO · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 300

I use ABCDE for both climbing and rappelling.

Anchor

Buckles

Connector: tie-in knot for climbing, or carabiner (locked?) for rappelling.

Device

End of rope

Beean · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 0
K. Le Douche wrote:

D - Dog

U - Unsupervised kids

B - Be from Boulder

Very good. I also use this one but I start with D for Dubstep and M for drugs. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Acronyms for Climbing "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started