Mountain Project Logo

EB Down Jackets - Sale

Original Post
Matt Sutinen · · Milwaukee, WI · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 0

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the Downlight Alpine Jacket?  The 50% off sale puts it at like $175  and if the normal price was any indication it should be pretty good considering the 800 fill and 30D ripstop?  I haven't found too many reviews where anyone took it outside the city though.  Current objectives would be a belay jacket for Ouray, climbing Mt. Baker, and Mt. Rainier.  I've seen good reviews on the Peak XV but I fear that may be a bit overkill considering my current objectives?

Link:  DOWNLIGHT ALPINE JACKET

Caz Drach · · C'Wood, UT · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 310

Buy it

Chris C · · Seattle, WA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 407

Their stuff is good for the price (they are ALWAYS running some sort of sale). For full price, I think the more standard climbing brands tend to be a bit more robust. For example, I really like the Sandstone Sheild jacket they make, but the zipper of mine became unreliable after getting frozen really bad once. I got another one and it happened again too. On the other hand, my Arcteryx Gamma MX has seen a lot more shit and is still working great. 

That isn’t me saying that their jackets suck! I think they are a good value for their sale prices and if I had to only use their gear I wouldn’t be pissed. RMI Guides exclusively used their gear for a long time until recently. Form my experience, if you aren’t putting your gear through the wringer (Rainier vs Denali) or if you like to replace your stuff every now and then, their stuff is a very good option.

That jacket will be good for breaks/belays on Rainier. Baker doesn’t get as cold unless the weather sucks. 

Matt Sutinen · · Milwaukee, WI · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 0

Thanks for the input!  It sounds like it would be a great option given the price, for someone who's still in the midst of getting their feet wet and figuring out exactly what I do and don't want or need.

Chris C · · Seattle, WA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 407

Yeah.  Specifically for Rainier and Baker in the summer, I would recommend just bringing along a couple lighter weight puffies instead of a big parka.  I'll usually bring an Arcteryx Atom LT and a Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whisperer.  

J R · · Flatlands · Joined May 2019 · Points: 1

Chris good advice........Matt, have you done Rainier yet?

I plan to climb Rainier the end of this month, late June. I plan on bringing these two outer jackets as my 2-puffy combo:

EB Stormlight Hoodie      ......had this one for a while and it kept me warm on Colorado's Quandary 14er in February, 5-15 deg temps.

TNF Ventrix Hoodie        .....plan to wear this alone when warmer, and under the EB puffy when colder or resting.

.......any thoughts welcomed!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "EB Down Jackets - Sale"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started