Mountain Project Logo

Rock Climbing Kathmandu

Original Post
Caleb Schwarz · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 120

I am going to be moving to Kathmandu for 2 years, and I was wondering what climbing gear is worth bringing. I will have a small climbing gym near my house, so I'm going to be definitely bringing a chalk bag and shoes. Is it worth bringing harness, rope, ATC, and draws? What about a small single rack? I can't imagine bringing my full double rack. Let me know what your experience has been!

And if I do end up bringing trad pro, any beta? I've heard some of the climbing is pockets and such, are tricams a good idea?

Mark R · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65

For two years! Pack everything. I haven't cragged around KTM but that's a long time and you will meet people and find opportunities. The best advice I can give is to buy your name brand gear on sale here in the States or take what you have. You can get generic stuff in Thamel but buying name brand (TNF, MHW, etc...) is very expensive in Nepal. Take trekking and mountaineering gear.

Yep, I'm familiar with Kathmandu itself and the gear buying situation because I was there for 2 months this past winter, but didn't know if there's any cragging opportunities around. But you're probably right about finding the locals and such.

Japhy Dhungana · · Boulder, CO · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 619

Hey Caleb,

Be sure to visit the Astrek Climbing Wall in the heart of Thamel.  Its the defacto center of the climbing community.  Make friends with Niraj, the manager there - he's a long-time core-climber and they're all very welcoming.  There are a handful of sport crags around Kathmandu.  I'd say bring your own rope, draws, harness, shoes.  No need to bring trad gear unless you have more time to explore higher up in the mountains (2-3 weeks of a trip).  

Here are the names of the crags:

- Nagarkot: About an hour outside of KTM.  Mostly 10's and one stellar .11, not much of a selection otherwise.  Decent bouldering.

- Hattiban: Excellent place, perhaps the best around KTM, a handful of climbs from 5.7-5.11.  All sport, easy access, and perhaps the most popular

- Bimalnagar: the sport climbing capital in Nepal.  About 4-6 hours outside KTM depending on the traffic.  All steep bullet limestone sport.  You'll love this.  Great for a weekend trip. 

I'll be in KTM starting Nov 1 through December - hit me up if you're there around that time and let me know if you have any questions.  Again, hit up the community at Astrek - its a great way to meet partners, local and international folks.  

- Japhy

japhy@coloradomountainschool.com

sandrock · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 120

Become a mountaineer instead! 

sandrock wrote:

Become a mountaineer instead! 

Going to be decently stuck in Kathmandu due to student visa rules, so day and weekend trips are going to have to suffice unfortunately.  

And I appreciate your help so much Japhy! That was exactly the information I was looking for! 

I'm not going to be leaving until probably March or April.

Thanks again for the detailed beta!

One last thing I thought I'd ask is about access. Are they public or do you have to go through a permit process?

Japhy Dhungana · · Boulder, CO · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 619

All are public!  At Bimalnagar, you have to pay the community a very small nominal amount (I forget, something like $2-4) to use the crag, but thats it.  

Elizabeth Hutchings · · Jackson, WY · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 0

Caleb, I'll be in Nepal in February-April, would be down to climb if you want a belay buddy! I'll have harness, shoes, slings and draws.

Hiro Protagonist · · Colorado · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 290

I think I will be around starting in mid-April, keep me in the loop?

Elizabeth and Hiro, unfortunately I'm not going to be going as soon as I had planned. It looks like I'll be making the move over there this time next year.

Jef Van Alsenoy · · Antwerpen · Joined Feb 2020 · Points: 0

Hey Caleb, are you still around?

Jef Van Alsenoy wrote: Hey Caleb, are you still around?

India at the moment, then Katmandu for a few days before I'll be back in the States for a few months. KTM after that though

If you're around and feel like climbing the next few days, let me know! 

Ben Townsend · · Fort Wayne, IN · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 0

I'm in Kathmandu at the moment and wandered upon this thread. Itching to do some climbing once quarrantine is lifted. Anyone still around? Give me a shout :)

Nope, I'm gone. Good luck!

Jocelyne Sze · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2022 · Points: 76

Hi, my partner and I are around Kathmandu for about a year, would love to find some people to boulder (though we didn't bring our bouldering mat...), sport or trad (brought some trad gear but not double ropes) with, if there's anyone around! 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

International
Post a Reply to "Rock Climbing Kathmandu"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started