Mountain Project Logo

Jackson Falls, IL

Original Post
Becky Hiu · · Des Moines, IA · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 0

Never been there and heading there with some peeps end of October. Where do we camp? Anything else we need to know logistically? Thanks!

Rick L · · Medford, OR · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 50

You can camp at a couple locations across the road from the access trail for free, no water or service for about 30 minutes around. to get down to the cliff base you have three options,

1. walk to clifftop edge, walk left for about .3 miles to the first access scramble down. 

2. Rap in of route anchors just to right of the falls

3. Big tree near the cliff edge center to the falls, jump/lean over to tree, climb down tree using branches and railroad spikes pounded into tree.

Time of year is important but the last 2 times ive been, I came back covered in poison ivy and ticks, ymmv

enjoy!

Justin Meyer · · Madison, WI · Joined May 2012 · Points: 47

There's nothing quite like a delicious marshmallow Peep after a good send. I still like the classic flavors but I think the new Pumpkin Spice Latte is perfect for fall projecting. Be sure to bring enough to share!

Justin Meyer wrote:

There's nothing quite like a delicious marshmallow Peep after a good send. I still like the classic flavors but I think the new Pumpkin Spice Latte is perfect for fall projecting. Be sure to bring enough to share!

Ha. I do love the PSL. :) 

Rick Lewis wrote:

You can camp at a couple locations across the road from the access trail for free, no water or service for about 30 minutes around. to get down to the cliff base you have three options,

1. walk to clifftop edge, walk left for about .3 miles to the first access scramble down. 

2. Rap in of route anchors just to right of the falls

3. Big tree near the cliff edge center to the falls, jump/lean over to tree, climb down tree using branches and railroad spikes pounded into tree.

Time of year is important but the last 2 times ive been, I came back covered in poison ivy and ticks, ymmv

enjoy!

Rick - Very helpful. We'll beware of the poison ivy and watch for ticks. Thanks much! - BH 

I find this guidebook very helpful for locating the climbing areas: https://www.wolverinepublishing.com/store/jackson-falls/. Otherwise at least download or print the maps that are included among the photos on the mountain project Jackson Falls page. It can be hard to find the areas based on just the mountain project text descriptions.

Justin Meyer wrote:

I find this guidebook very helpful for locating the climbing areas: https://www.wolverinepublishing.com/store/jackson-falls/. Otherwise at least download or print the maps that are included among the photos on the mountain project Jackson Falls page. It can be hard to find the areas based on just the mountain project text descriptions.

One of the peeps coming with has a guidebook, so I believe are are set. :) Any suggestions for areas? I know I can scroll through MP but since you sound like a seasoned veteran of the area, I could ask you. Most of us are 10/11 leaders, with some other being <9 leaders, so we'd prefer an area with a healthy mix of all types of routes, with easier being preferable.

Stephen Lander · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 12

Just letting you know, most climbs under 5.10 at Jackson feel pretty stiff so don't just throw your <9 leaders on an 8 and expect them not to poop their pants.

I think the best walls for you will be: The Gallery, Spleef Peak, Hidden Peaks, Mr. Jimmy, and Big Star Wall. 

I will second Spleef Peak, Hidden Peaks and Mr. Jimmy.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Midwest
Post a Reply to "Jackson Falls, IL"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.