Mountain Project Logo

Campus Board Improvements?

Original Post
Alexander Khoo · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 0

Hey guys, I am currently doing a project for my Design and Technology course and being a climber, I wanted to do something associated with climbing and more specifically a campus board. Being that the campus board is already so well made, I would just like some opinion about what could be changed to make it more effective, safer or easier to use.

Pavel Burov · · Russia · Joined May 2013 · Points: 50
Alexander Khoo wrote:

what could be changed to make it more effective

Add a grid of popout huge spikes underneath. When the board is weighted spikes pop out. One should reach the top rung with both hands and stick to it for three seconds to push spikes back in.

Mark E Dixon · · Possunt, nec posse videntur · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 974

Design a campus board where the rung spacing is easily and quickly varied. 

aikibujin · · Castle Rock, CO · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 300
Mark E Dixon wrote:

Design a campus board where the rung spacing is easily and quickly varied. 

To go one step further, connect the campus board to a sensor that measures an user's height and ape index, and automatically adjust the rung spacing.

Gummy F · · Akron, OH · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 2,530

Design a campus board where you can change the rung depth on a single rung, that way you can have only one rung set and save tons of space. 

kenr · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 16,608
Alexander Khoo wrote:

Being that the campus board is already so well made . . .

? huh ?

As a training tool for most climbers, most public campus boards have a primitive design based more on achieving a certain "look", rather than supporting a rational training strategy (rational for most climbers). 

And most exhibit a great waste of "board area" real estate.

If you carefully read threads on this forum about this topic in the past 5-10 years, you'll find lots of ideas for improvements.

Ken

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Training Forum
Post a Reply to "Campus Board Improvements? "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started