Mountain Project Logo

Nomics or X Dreams

Original Post
j Leend · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2011 · Points: 31

Looking at new tools.  I have climbed on both of them and like them both.  I have head the Nomics will be more durable.  Picks are expensive though.  Help me decide.  Nomics or X Dreams.   Let the opinions fly.

Nick Sweeney · · Spokane, WA · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 969

X Dreams! But you can't go wrong. I trust CAMP's guarantee more than any other company, and the tools are great.

Emmett Lyman · · Stoneham, MA (Boston burbs) · Joined Feb 2011 · Points: 480

Really can't go wrong either way - you can climb anything with either of them. X Dreams swing well and have a little extra length, but the picks are soft and get wrecked quickly. Nomics are also nice and compact in comparison, and they feel more like tools than toys. That said, I have both and found myself reaching for the X Dreams more often last season.

HBTHREE · · ma · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 30

Wait and demo. Grivel tech mach, trango raptors and bd cobra r nice too. Fwiw my hand didn't fit in the dream so well or in the. Grivel tech machine carbon which I have and I'm looking to sell.

Dallin Carey · · Missoula · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 177

I spent a day climbing on either pair. I loved the Nomics and purchased a pair. I could not stand the X Dreams. 

ChrisMurphy · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 0

I too prefer the Nomics to the X Dreams, but then again I climb with Trango Raptors so take my opinion with a grain of salt

Jake907 · · Anchorage Alaska · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 0

It's like asking a bunch of hillbillies if Fords or Chevies are better.

Luc-514 · · Montreal, QC · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 12,536

I prefer the handle on the Fuels but switched to the Nomics due to the awesome swing and just didn't like the X-Dream's handle.

I'm using them with the PUR'Ice pick which has a lower volume than the regular ice pick so less displacement in brittle ice.

I also own the Quarks which has made me love the quality of the steel they use (durability and toughness).

Benjamin Mitchell · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 0

I like the Nomics better but this is just a personal preference thing. You should just demo/borrow/rent both and see which you prefer.

Melanie Shea · · Colorado Springs · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 10

X dreams third party pick for durability

Nils Hermann Wiggen · · Norway · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 0

I have tried the Nomics and own a pair of X-dreams. I think the griprest is better on the x-dreams. Thus I can rest better and hold on longer on those than the Nomic without it hurting too much.. Both have great swing. The handle on the x-dreams can be a downside if not configured for your hands. It's a lot of customizing that can be done with the parts that come with it. If possible test the handle and make changes to it to make it fit your hands. As mentioned earlier, the Nomics feels more like a tool and the X-dreams more like a toy to play with on steep stuff. I want toys :) And yes, the blades are cheaper but softer. Quite irritating to buy blades all the time. I have just bought some race-picks and it seams to be a bit stronger than the ice-blade. Can anyone confirm that?

Chad Hiatt · · Bozeman, Mt · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 85

You should only think about other axes when you have at least 2 pairs of Nomics.

Emmett Lyman · · Stoneham, MA (Boston burbs) · Joined Feb 2011 · Points: 480
Chiatt Hiatt wrote:

You should only think about other axes when you have at least 2 pairs of Nomics.

Safety first, after all. 

https://youtu.be/Qd8bHA53wko

Alex Styp · · Eldorado Springs · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 75
Emmett Lyman wrote:

Safety first, after all. 

https://youtu.be/Qd8bHA53wko

Maybe try 4TT (4 Tool Technique) with X-Dreams, one pair with stock pick and one pair with Race, and tell us how it turns out? Or One pair of Nomics/One of X-Dreams and report on the same. I look foward to the results.

Also, Krukonogi picks on x-dreams are my personal choice. Krukonogi is russian steel, sold by Rock n' Resole in Bouilder, CO. They have all sorts of aftermarket picks/spikes for lots of brands/models of axes and crampons that are hugely superior to stock. 

Luc-514 · · Montreal, QC · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 12,536

The problem with Krukonogi is that they're all directed to mixed climbing with steeper angles.  I had a friend order custom angle droop to match his BD Fuel's picks.

Ryan Hamilton · · Orem · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 5

I don't think you would be unhappy with either one. Just get which ever is cheaper. They are both great tools. I currently use the x-dreams. The effective pick/handle angle for each is the same, despite the difference in shaft curves. The handle on the x-dreams is a little more offset, which may change the swing a bit. I do like the handle on the x-dreams better than the Nomics, but the Nomic handle isn't bad. My dedicated dry tooling tools are the Petzl Ergos which have the same handle as the Nomic. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Ice Climbing
Post a Reply to "Nomics or X Dreams"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started