Mountain Project Logo

Southern Fried Ice?

Original Post
Paddy O'Hulk · · Lakewood, CO · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 45

Anyone have a copy? Anyone know where to get one? Are there any other books/videos/articles for Ice in the south that I can drool over? Anyone else super stoked for Ice? 

Ti ck · · souf yeast · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 1,790

Ice you say?

I love it!

Allan Ange · · Sylva, NC · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 0

Southern Pisgah Rock and Ice available early next year.  http://grounduppublishing.com

Joey Wolfe · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 1,020
Paddy O'Hulk · · Lakewood, CO · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 45
Joey Wolfe wrote:

maybe you have seen this?

http://www.coolclimbing.com/icepage01.htm

Yeah, I've seen that. I emailed Michael about a month+ ago and never heard back. 

travispowell · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 75

There's a Facebook group called Kentucky Ice climbing (I think) that keeps fairly up to date conditions. That being said, you've got to be on top of it in Kentucky. When things are in, they're in, usually in the morning, and they could be out by the time the afternoon rolls around.

Shadrock · · Here and there. · Joined Jun 2009 · Points: 430

This is probably not super helpful, but when I was living in GA a few years ago I also remember seeing a FB group for Western NC. I think they actually covered the region, but I think it was run by some NC folks. It's also worth trying to ping Jody Jacobs (I think he goes by username RedDawg). He knows more than anybody I know about ice in the area and may know where to dig up a copy of the guide.  

Mike R · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 2,768

Southern Pisgah Rock and Ice will cover all ice in the Looking Glass/ 215/ Graveyard/ Slate Rock region.  Maybe 50 or so ice lines.  Www.grounduppublishing.com 

Thanks for the reference to it in the above comment! 

Patrick Wilder · · Poncha Springs · Joined May 2015 · Points: 45

I went to the AAC library in Golden, CO and they had 1 copy of Southern fried ice. That's the only one I've ever been able to find. Cool book though I snapped pics of the Alabama section if you were interested.

Stephen Scoff · · Columbia, SC · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 402

You may be a bit underwhelmed by SFI, at least the NC info... Mike's new guidebook does an exceptional job covering Pisgah and MP has Whitesides and Celo covered. The only big SE (public) area not covered somewhere is Rabun Bald. If I have some time over the holidays I may post something up on MP. 

If you have any questions about NC ice please feel free to shoot me a message. 

Stephen

Derek DeBruin · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 1,039

Fox Mountain Guides used to have a few copies at their office for sale. Not sure if that's still a thing, but you might give them a call.

Mark O'Neal · · Nicholson, GA · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 3,323
PaddyOHulk wrote:

Yeah, I've seen that. I emailed Michael about a month+ ago and never heard back. 

If you're feeling lucky just send him a check. I've heard rumors of the occasional book showing up in return

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern States
Post a Reply to "Southern Fried Ice? "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started