Mountain Project Logo

approach system for ice climb

Original Post
pietro carra · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 0

hello, i invented a system to approaching ice climb... you can see it in this video... in final scene you can see two possibilities for descent...ciao!

youtu.be/lSBb3vO_gn8

n00b · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 0

You invented skis? You must be really old. Good for you for still climbing after several thousand years of life.

Just Solo · · Colorado Springs · Joined Nov 2003 · Points: 80

I see one descent option.... that's a one way trip straight down putting in two tools right next to each other. Stagger... always.

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276

What a great idea. Revolutionary. Long, slender planks on your feet to prevent you from sinking into the snow. Who would have thought?

will ar · · Vermont · Joined Jan 2010 · Points: 290

In one of the shots it looks like there is some kind of brace that might allow you to ski down in ice climbing boots and have little more control. Climbers have been making similar DIY rigs for far longer than I've been climbing. It might help to explain your "invention" in a little more detail.

Stagg54 Taggart · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2006 · Points: 10

If you look closely at about 0:10 you can see that he has some sort of dynafit type binding rigged up that allows you to use mountaineering boots (apparently with crampons on!!!! - why?).

Stagg54 Taggart · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2006 · Points: 10
will ar wrote:In one of the shots it looks like there is some kind of brace that might allow you to ski down in ice climbing boots and have little more control. Climbers have been making similar DIY rigs for far longer than I've been climbing. It might help to explain your "invention" in a little more detail.
I missed the brace with the ax. It was kind of hard to see in the deep powder and absent on the packed trail.

I don't know that I would like the spike of an ice axe pointed directly at my knee. What could possibly go wrong with that?
Ice4life · · US · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 330

I use Dynafit skis with SIlveretta 500's.  Thats how I actually got into touring.  I wanted a more efficient and faster way to get into long slogs to ice, and the going down is way faster and way more fun on skis.  Skin in, leave skis, climb, rap, put skis on and jet.  Makes long ass days more enjoyable.  Silveretta 500's aren't the best for technical down, but they do the best job IMO for mountaineering boots.  They're not made anymore so you can occasionally find them for around $150 (cheapest I've seen and a good deal) - $250.00 (just because people want them and the seller knows that)

Bogdan Petre · · West Lebanon, NH · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 1,098

Can you post photos or another video detailing the binding system?

If your binding system is an alternative to silvrettas, this is pretty cool. Silvrettas 404s are pretty heavy (4.5lbs/pair), and while 500s are slightly less heavy (3.6lbs/pair), they're also harder to find. A competitive alternative to these options would be great. Because the bindings are frameless, I suspect they might be much lighter than silvrettas (dynafit pin bindings weighing 2lbs/pair are pretty standard), in which case they could be very desirable for ice climbers and alpinists.

How much does a pair of the bindings weigh, and can they be used without crampons on? I could see crampons being useful in some situations, the same situations where a skier would want ski crampons, but if you can't use this system without crampons then you're basically stuck with something very similar to a snowshoe. More details please.

Eric Fjellanger · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2008 · Points: 870

I'm really torn between respect at your ingenuity, and horror at the new sketchiest thing I've seen here. Am I missing something? You're skiing downhill wearing crampons with ice tools strapped to your shins?

Jacon · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 200

Holy shit this is incredible / insane.  

Also it's not a tech toe.  Zoom in as much as possible at 2:25.  Seems to be a chairlift/roller-coaster style clamp on the two front points.  

Jordan Moore · · Boulder, CO · Joined Feb 2011 · Points: 60

So the "innovative" part of the invention is the ability to ski with crampons and ice tools attached to the skis? Was this to save transition time? What's the goal with that?

No, the innovative part is that he can ski in and out in his climbing boots without Silvrettas.  He made it work by making the bindings connect to his crampons (which provided more options for connection points) and using his ice tools as Mountain Springs, both of which are seriously batshit crazy ideas... but definitely innovative.  Kudos.  Don't think I'd take it over installing tech fittings in my mountain boots, but still.... impressive.  

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Ice Climbing
Post a Reply to "approach system for ice climb"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started