Mountain Project Logo

climbing helmet for big head?

Original Post
IKSOO JEONG · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 0

Hi, guys?

I just received Mammut wall rider 56-61 size helmet but realized chin strap is too short.

I think helmet size is ok except chin strap...

Oh, I am an Asian guy. I mean big head guy...:(

Should I just extend the chin strap or exchange to other model?

Actually, I love it's desigh and lightweight material...

Any suggestion?

amarius · · Nowhere, OK · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 20
IcePick · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 100

Is your name Todd ?

Big Red · · Seattle · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 940

I too have a big noggin - I use the Wall Rider, so make sure you've futzed with the straps enough (I remember that the rear adjustment has some influence on the length of the chin strap). Before this I used a BD Vector, which worked fine as well.

jktinst · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 55

Ditto on the back-of-the-head adjustment. If that didn't solve the problem and I really wanted to keep this helmet rather than getting another kind (that I knew would fit better off-the-shelf), I'd contact Mammut to explain the problem and see if they have any suggestion; eg: any possibility that they could exchange my unused helmet for one with an extra-long chin strap? It's pretty unlikely that they could do that but it would set me up for my next tack, which would be to ask them to send me a piece of webbing of the same kind they use on the chin strap, just longer, that I could use to make the mod myself.

I'd have no problem making this mod but finding precisely the same webbing to buy off a spool somewhere (to avoid adjustment and comfort problems) might be tricky. I would expect Mammut's Warranty and Repairs to moan that they couldn't let me do this because it would void the warranty but I'd probably agree to this voiding.

If you're just going to get a different helmet, there's not much point in going on about what else I might tell Mammut (or try to get out of them) and precisely how I would do the mod but don't hesitate to PM me if you'd like to explore this further.

IKSOO JEONG · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 0

Thank you so much, guys...:)

I should contact Mammut to explain this problem.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "climbing helmet for big head?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started