Mountain Project Logo

Reslinging BD Gen2 Cams

Original Post
Hamish Hamish · · Fredericksburg, VA · Joined May 2017 · Points: 15

I've got a full rack of Gen 2 BD cams (sling is through small rigid metal eye at end of cam stem), that have seen light use but still have ~15 years of age.  I was thinking about reslinging them with cord, and the local climbing shop recommended using 8mm cord if I can get it to fit.  Is that really necessary?  I was hoping to put 2-3 loops through and then tie off with double fishermen's; that way I can clip to my rack short and then extend.  

- what minimum cord diameter would be acceptable?

- will 3 loops cause issue with the cord cutting into itself when extended?

- would webbing work better?  I was worried that I'd have issues with webbing knots loosening over time, hence my gut reaction to use cord.

Cheers, Hamish

ebmudder · · Bronx, NY · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 55

two loops of cord will give you plenty of extension, but you'd have to use 6mm tech cord and a triple fishermans, which would be pretty bulky compared to a sewn runner. I'm not sure if you could get even two lengths of 7mm cord through the "eye". 9/16 webbing with a double fishermans will also work, but only for a single loop. Don't use a water knot with webbing unless you leave xtra tail and check it frequently...again too bulky.

Or you could send them to Yates for $6-$7 per cam (single loop sewn dynema runner)...stronger and less bulky.

Ben Kirby · · Cody, WY · Joined May 2014 · Points: 296

Send them to me. I will resling them with cord and provide feedback on their performance. Next time you want to resling cams you can make an informed decision.

Scottmx426 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 0

Plenty of companies resling cams for $3-$7. Why not just get it done right?  Metolius reslings and cleans your cams for $3 each. It's so cheap. 

Ebmudder: what's the extra cord/wood for on that 4.5? 

Scottmx426 wrote:

Plenty of companies resling cams for $3-$7. Why not just get it done right?  Metolius reslings and cleans your cams for $3 each. It's so cheap. 

Hi Scott: The dowel slides through the lobes to keep them retracted when climbing.

Double J · · Sandy, UT · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 3,952

If it was doubled for extension and then you took a whip, the cord could cut itself around the eye where it is crossed over itself. I would recommend getting a nylon loop to resling it like original and BD will do it for $5 bucks or so plus shipping.  Look it up on the warranty page on their website.  

Scottmx426 wrote:

Yeah, not worried about the price but was looking for expediency, plus maybe a way to have them directly extendable.  Cheers, Hamish

jon jugenheimer wrote:

If you took a whip, the cord could cut itself around the eye where it is crossed over itself. I would recommend getting a nylon loop to resling it like original and BD will do it for $5 bucks or so plus shipping.  Look it up on the warranty page on their website.  

Thanks Jon - that was my main concern.  Older cams actually came with cord, but I wasn't sure if doubling or tripling up would introduce some other failure mode.  Appreciate the advice.

Double J · · Sandy, UT · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 3,952

http://blackdiamondequipment.com/en/experience-story?cid=qc-labreslinging-camalots-and-c3s

To add a little more reading material, and it's $8 bucks for a sling, not $5.  sorry. 

Nick Sweeney · · Spokane, WA · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 969

Hamish, I had three of those cams sling with cord for a few months before I got them properly reslung.  I used 5.5mm titan cord with a triple fisherman's knot.  It was a pain in the ass, just save yourself the effort/annoyance and get them reslung.  I used Caccia Equipment and the service was great.  I definitely would not double up the cord - as Jon mentioned, it can self-abrade when high forces are applied.  

Matt Himmelstein · · Orange, CA · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 194
ebmudder wrote:

Hi Scott: The dowel slides through the lobes to keep them retracted when climbing.

I swa the photo and thought that it was brilliant for the boat anchors.  Did you drill them yourself?

Matt Himmelstein wrote:

I swa the photo and thought that it was brilliant for the boat anchors.  Did you drill them yourself?

Hi Matt: the holes were already in the cam lobes...I wouldn't start drilling holes in the lobes. I'm not sure if BD placed the holes there for weight savings or what I'm using them for. BTW, while the dowel slides in and out of the lobes fairly easily, it does bind against the stem (when inserted through both sets of lobes), and is a bitch to remove one-handed...you defintely want to "unlock" the cam before you need it.

Joe Prescott · · Berlin Germany · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 6

Common thing to do with the bigger cams. We use a short piece of coat hanger in a similar way and positioned so that when you squeeze the trigger, the hanger usually slides out by gravity.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Trad Climbing
Post a Reply to "Reslinging BD Gen2 Cams"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started