Mountain Project Logo

Which route is this in Yosemite?

Original Post
Dead Head · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 65

I saw this in a california tourism commercial, and it either looks like Sentinel Dome or the Glacier Point Apron, Half Dome is on the same side of the valley, in the background.  Any ideas?

Chuck Parks · · Atlanta, GA · Joined Jan 2008 · Points: 2,190

I'm pretty sure they're hanging off an outcropping near the Glacier Point overlook. A few frames later in the commercial you can see the railing.

Not sure if there's a route that goes up there. For the commercial I imagine they just lowered the guy down from the top and started filming.

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Chuck Parks wrote:

I'm pretty sure they're hanging off an outcropping near the Glacier Point overlook. A few frames later in the commercial you can see the railing.

Not sure if there's a route that goes up there. For the commercial I imagine they just lowered the guy down from the top and started filming.

Correct. No route, just a photogenic location that has been used many times for advertising.

Guy Keesee · · Moorpark, CA · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 349

Posing

Dead Head · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 65

I feel cheated, that would be such a cool route feature!

Andrew Rice · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 11
Nathan E · · Innsbruck · Joined Oct 2005 · Points: 105

This overhanging rock is over at the old Glacier Point lookout (hence the old railing).  There is at least one old buttonhead near the lip of the roof visible from the railing, and from what I recall, an ancient anchor too.  I always figured this was an old bolt ladder...

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Which route is this in Yosemite?"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.