Mountain Project Logo

Myster Z as an approach to Armatron.

Original Post
Bill M · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined Jun 2010 · Points: 317

Effort wise does it make sense?  Also is Vegas temps in the 70s about right for sunny routes like this?

Derek Field · · Nevada · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 5,986

It makes total sense, yes. I find MysterZ more enjoyable than the normal Brownstone approach. It plops you right at the base.

mcarizona · · Flag · Joined Feb 2007 · Points: 180

That's how we did it - awesome day!

Joe Prescott · · Berlin Germany · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 6

A good approach and a fun day. Wear very comfy climbing shoes - I can remember how much my feet hurt by midday and you don't really need performance shoes. Also remember being very hot on Armatron, and I'm pretty sure the temps were much cooler than your going to see.

Forever Outside · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 270

absoutely, armatron would be a loooooong hike for 4 pitches

Arin F · · Las Vegas · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 64

I never enjoyed MysterZ. Not even as an approach to brownstone. Do smooth operator or saddle up if you really want to climb something on approach. Or just hit up another route on Brownstone if you have extra time.

Mike T · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Feb 2010 · Points: 106
Bill M wrote:

Effort wise does it make sense?

Got off route at the top of, Mr Z, two out of three times. Once, never got back on route at all. Fun, adventure days, but not quick!

B CS · · NY · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 41

Saddle Up is another great route that will keep the grade more consistent in the 8+/9- area.

Derek Doucet · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 66

Approaching the Brownstone is about the only real reason to do Mr. Z at all, but it does beat the slab slogging alternative, and has a couple of decent pitches. The climbing goes very quickly as well. I prefer it to the hike, but YMMV. 

sarcasm · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2010 · Points: 445

To increase the fun of MysterZ do it as a simulclimb.  It's a great route to practice that technique and yeah it beats the hike.  Have fun.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Nevada
Post a Reply to "Myster Z as an approach to Armatron."

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started