Mountain Project Logo

Throwing my banana...

Original Post
Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,610

I was once accosted for throwing a banana peel in the bushes. Do you pack out your banana peels??????

Will Maness · · Terrebonne, OR · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 115

Yes, I do.  I follow the Leave No Trace (LNT)  principle as strictly as possible.  While banana peels may be considered "biodegradable,"  they likely aren't native to the area in which you were climbing and are probably not suitable for local animals to eat.  Introducing anything foreign into an ecosystem can only be benign at best.  It is impossible to know the domino effect you might set off.  And finally, it just looks bad.  I have never accosted anyone about tossing an apple core or banana peel, but I do cringe when I see it.

Keatan · · AZ · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 50
Mark E Dixon · · Possunt, nec posse videntur · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 974

Leaving banana peels, pistachio shells, etc is undesirable for the reasons mentioned above. 

They are non-native, and even if biodegradable, will take time before decaying, forcing others to climb amidst your trash until that happens.

A big pile of steaming poop is also biodegradable, but pretty universally regarded as unacceptable.

My approach, if I see someone littering, is to politely ask if they plan on picking up whatever it is, orange peel, cigarette butt, whatever. 

If they say no, I just do it myself and carry on.

It's not my job to tell others how to behave, but it is my responsibility to make the crags a better place.

I've gotten so much out of climbing. As have most of you reading this.

Time to pay back.

mediocre · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 0

A lot of things are biodegradable, it doesn't mean you just throw it in the bushes. 

Eric L · · Roseville, CA · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 145

Whether biodegradable or not, it’s still not very appealing to see. (Edit for the non punny folks... a peel-ing)

Joe Prescott · · Berlin Germany · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 6

If it doesn't grow here, it doesn't go here.

mediocre · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 0
Mason Stone wrote:

Mediocre and Eric,

Agreed, consider my question though. And I like this from Mark:

"It's not my job to tell others how to behave, but it is my responsibility to make the crags a better place."

That's what I mean by moral and ethical.

I also pack other people's trash out, this is indirect instruction for people I climb with or near, doesn't take more than a few seconds and very little effort. And, I try to instruct directly, as mentioned above, when lives are at stake.

Whats your question? When do we contact other climbers or Are you a good/bad person for tossing your peel? Will tossing your peel affect/not affect others?

When do we contact other climbers?- I think you laid out a pretty good scenario or 2. 

Are you a good/bad person for tossing your peel? Will tossing your peel affect/not affect others?- I don't know that I'd go so far as to say that you're a bad person, but I feel like thiis orange peel/banana peel question is really common sense and that I learned not to do this in junior high. Biodegradable time is going to be affected by the environment where you are. A peel is going to degrade at different rates if you're climbing at Index, an alpine route at 8000 feet or cragging at Indian Creek.Seeing these peels does affect me because it's litter. And now I've got to deal with someone elses junk that I feel was most commonly left there because they thought it would biodegrade. 

I agree with the indirect instruction and making the crag a better place. I pick up litter that I see, as long as it doesn't look like something that has bodily fluid on it, because typically I'm not equipped to handle that when I'm out climbing. 

Chad Miller · · Grand Junction, CO · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 150
Tradiban wrote:

I was once accosted for throwing a banana peel in the bushes. Do you pack out your banana peels??????

Yes. 

caesar.salad · · earth · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 75

Leave no trace. Pack out everything. Approach others nicely about it and explain the reasoning behind packing out everything. We all need to be educators to those who might be new to the outdoors and not understand the LNT ethic yet. Just be courteous. 

Luke Bertelsen · · Tucson, AZ · Joined Feb 2005 · Points: 4,867

Define accosted in the banana peel throwing incident.  I want to imagine a brawl, but maybe it was just a stern talking to?

I was probably less polite than I could have been. I don't really remember exactly.

Troyswank · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 0

What about tossing apple cores in an orchard?

Sam Cieply · · Venice, CA · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 25
Troyswank wrote:

What about tossing apple cores in an orchard?

I'll allow it.

Stan McKnight · · AZ · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 261

I either pack them out or bury them off trail somewhere 

AaronP · · colorado springs co · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 55

Do people pack out pee?

AaronP wrote:

Do people pack out pee?

Drink to replenish nutrients.

AaronP · · colorado springs co · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 55
caesar.salad wrote:

Drink to replenish nutrients.

Pro tip: mix with stratch labs to make it more palatable.

AaronP wrote:

Pro tip: mix with stratch labs to make it more palatable.

Nuun tabs work well too.

Tony K · · Pa · Joined May 2017 · Points: 0

So last winter on a multi day trip in the Adirondack’s my son in law rolled an ankle we had at least a day and a half hike to get back out ( at normal pace) so we were debating on what to do with him....

my suggestion was to take his gear ( not biodegradable) and just leave him .....he’s BIODEGRADABLE 
Kate Johnson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 35

In the same vein as this (people not taking responsibility for their own trash/conversely, taking responsibility for all trash at a crag) what do you find causes you to take ownership of a crag? If it's your local place, do you feel like you should be taking care of it? Why or why not?

[Explanation: I run trail days for some local crags, and most recently we had a volunteer trail day at a very popular crag where no volunteers showed up -- even as many climbers used the routes we were working at, and asked us about trail days, nobody seemed to be interested in helping, future trail days, etc. It seemed that everyone felt "someone else will show up to the trail day", and nobody actually showed up. Any insight to attracting volunteers would be appreciated!]

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Throwing my banana..."

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started