Mountain Project Logo

2017 Altay classic

Original Post
Wisconsin Climbers Association · · Wisconsin · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 0

•who:

rope teams of two 

•time:

pre comp meeting at 7:15 am WCA tent
climbing 7:30 am until 4:30 pm. start and finish is the WCA tent in the vendor village. score cards turned in after 4:30 will not be counted

•where:

east bluff from railroad amphitheater to east ramparts (balanced rock wall proper is out due to the trail work project happening there, any other closures will be made known during the pre comp meeting)

•what routes:
routes and grades will be based on Olle Swartling’s guidebook 3rd edition

•scoring:
you will be provided with a score sheet at the pre-comp meeting. all the routes listed in the guidebook are considered in, with the exception of the closures noted at the pre-comp meeting.

less than 5.2 not scored
5.2-5.3          5 points
5.4-5.5         10 points
5.6-5.7          20 points
5.8                30 points
5.9                40 points
5.10              50 points
5.11 and up  60 points

points are for leader and second’s clean ascent, either one falls no points. in the event of a fall by either the leader or second you can lower to ground and start over, leaving gear in if leading, but you must pull the rope. one lead per climb per team for points.

stipulations:

NO SOLOING, this is a lead comp, be safe and place gear early and often!
No stashing food and water, you must carry all your gear with you to the crag.
No cars, lets make this a carbon negligible event! run, walk or swim to the crag of your choice starting from the WCA tent in the vendor village. 

Remo · · Madison, WI · Joined Mar 2007 · Points: 13,727

This is going to be a great event!  Spots are filling up fast so don't hesitate!  See you out there!

Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,610

Place gear early and often?!?!? Impossible at DL.

Gokul G · · Madison, WI · Joined May 2011 · Points: 1,748

Is the Box Canyon off-limits?

Double J · · Sandy, UT · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 3,947

@gokul, no. 

R.Bartelme · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 0
Gokul wrote:

Is the Box Canyon off-limits?

I think I get where this is going.

Doug Hemken · · Madison, WI · Joined Oct 2004 · Points: 13,678

Actually, the entire Balanced Rock area will be off limits, including the Invitation Wall and Box Canyon.  There will be work going on directly under Invitation (and it has a huge paper wasp nest on it, anyway).  And Box Canyon will be used as a staging area for materials.

The entire Balanced Rock trail will be marked "closed" - do not plan on going through the work site during the competition.

Burton Lindquist · · Madison, WI · Joined Jan 2002 · Points: 4,220

Anybody wanna partner up for the Altay Classic....  I will try my best to keep up...

Burt

Gokul was looking for a partner as of last Saturday.

EB · · Winona · Joined Jan 2002 · Points: 1,207

A day or two ago, pre-registration was at 5?  I think a number of folks are planning to just show up.  Given the early morning start, I think pre-registration is a good idea, myself.

So ... where do we go to place bets on this horse race?

Gokul and I had an exchange about teaming up but he has actually made other arrangements.. no worries... It will be just as fun to compete with him.... Ha!

Anybody?  I am prepared to go do a dry run of the event this weekend sometime as well... How fun will that be?

EB · · Winona · Joined Jan 2002 · Points: 1,207
Burt Lindquist wrote:

Gokul and I had an exchange about teaming up but he has actually made other arrangements.. no worries... It will be just as fun to compete with him.... Ha!

Anybody?  I am prepared to go do a dry run of the event this weekend sometime as well... How fun will that be?

Burt, if I didnt have a partner already I would have totally taken you up on partnering. Next year? Should be a fun time!

Wisconsin Climbers Association wrote:

PS: Yes, I have a partner. It's been a roller coaster. Eric asked me, when I thought I'd be partnering with Doug, so I had to say no to him. Then I found out that Doug was going to be occupied with the trail project both days. So I went back to Eric to see if he was still looking for a partner. Nope, he'd partnered up in the interim. Then I asked Burt. But he said he was going to be swamped with organizing work. So I went shopping. After one more miscue, I finally landed a partner. And then Burt found out that he was not going to be all that busy and would be up for partnering up after all. Oops! Sorry Burt! 

So who is your partner?!?! 

jon jugenheimer wrote:

So who is your partner?!?! 

Some dude from Madison. We hadn't even climbed together until a few days ago. He says he doesn't climb much trad, but apparently he likes to give it a shot once in a while. I've seen him climb a few pitches though, and he seems kinda strong =)

chris tregge · · Madison WI · Joined May 2007 · Points: 11,036

I think you picked wisely

No worries Gokul.  I am quite fine with the partner you have hooked up with.  Ha!

The bike idea sounds interesting but you may get fast more efficient results Mt. Biking the Up Land trail.  Beeline to the back of East bluff and back.

Remo · · Madison, WI · Joined Mar 2007 · Points: 13,727

Update: Bikes will not be allowed for the trad competition.  Sorry Gokul.  The weather also looks...interesting.  We are still planning on running both comps Saturday morning as long as the weather cooperates.  Keep your eyes open for updates or visit our booth next to the Black Diamond tent in the vendor village.

Cheers!

chris tregge · · Madison WI · Joined May 2007 · Points: 11,036

Horses or any type of cloven ungulate?  

The horse would have to climb the route (Horse Rampart!), but is not required to lead any pitches.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Midwest
Post a Reply to "2017 Altay classic "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started