Mountain Project Logo

W Slabs to Geurts on Olympus

Original Post
M L · · Sonora, CA · Joined Apr 2007 · Points: 165

Has anyone gone from the top of the W. Slabs and gone down and over to link up with Geurts? Looks like a fun link up solo but possibly a miserable schwack

Slay er · · Ogden · Joined Mar 2010 · Points: 105

It is pretty much what you think it will be.  There is always a bit of tricky downclimbing and schwacking to cross tolcat unless you know right where to go. If you are feeling a big day of scrambling you can bop over to the other side and do Kamps ridge as well. The schwacking gets real down there though!

thanks! I'll leave my nice tracksuit pants at home :)

Greg Gavin · · SLC, UT · Joined Oct 2008 · Points: 888

I did it last year and totally fucked my self by going to far skiers right. Epic scrub schwacking ensued until I made it into tolcat canyon. Check back in with where you went and Good luck!

Allen Sanderson · · On the road to perdition · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 1,203

You do that in the spring when you can bum slide the couloirs into Neffs.

Matt Selman · · Salt Lake City · Joined Jan 2009 · Points: 200

I've done it a few times, it's not great but not too bad. Once you hop over the top of the Slabs you catch a sloping bench down to the west. It comes to a minor cleft that shoots straight SSW to the proper (Tolcats) start of Geurt's. As mentioned before, Kamp's is a nice addition to the day but I recommend starting there--then over the ridge and down the normal Slabs descent, up the Slabs, down to Geurt's, up to the summit and down that miserable-ass hiking trail.

I went the way Matt Selman described more or less. I'll add Kamps in next time, never done it and starting on it makes sense. Maybe in spring.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern Utah & Idaho
Post a Reply to "W Slabs to Geurts on Olympus"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started