Mountain Project Logo

Best guide book for White rock and El Rito?

Original Post
Seth Monteleone · · Charlotte, NC · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 51

I'm going to White Rock area and maybe El Rito for a week and I was wondering what the locals use when if comes to guide books in the area?  Also, is there anywhere to buy fuel for my camping stove around White Rock?

Jason Halladay · · Los Alamos, NM · Joined Oct 2005 · Points: 15,158

The free El Rito Sport and Trad PDF guides on the Los Alamos Mountaineers website are are very relevant still. In fact, I just updated the sport PDF last week (if you find any typos, let me know!) 

White Rock hasn't changed much since it was published in the Jemez Rock and Falcon Rock Climbing New Mexico guidebooks. 

Still, your best bet is to use the MountainProject app and download the NM area. 

As for fuel, what fuel to you need? Propane (and quite possibly isobutane and white gas) is available at the super Smith's store in Los Alamos. Otherwise, REI in Santa Fe. 

Jason, thanks for the links!  I'll be sure to print those out.  For fuel I need isobutane, but how far is Santa Fe?  Maybe I should get one of those little fire stoves.

If I remember, I'll take a look at the local Smith's store to see if it carries isobutane. When you going to be here? I have a couple partially used cans I just got from some climbers at a campground last week...they were flying home and couldn't take it with them. 

Santa Fe is about 40 mins from White Rock and about an hour from El Rito. If you're flying into Albuquerque you'll pass through Santa Fe on our your way to El Rito or White Rock. Also, consider the Jemez Mountains as a destination. Las Conchas, Area 37, Upper East Fork and Gilman Tunnels are all nice this time of year. 

Jason Halladay wrote:

If I remember, I'll take a look at the local Smith's store to see if it carries isobutane. When you going to be here? I have a couple partially used cans I just got from some climbers at a campground last week...they were flying home and couldn't take it with them. 

Santa Fe is about 40 mins from White Rock and about an hour from El Rito. If you're flying into Albuquerque you'll pass through Santa Fe on our your way to El Rito or White Rock. Also, consider the Jemez Mountains as a destination. Las Conchas, Area 37, Upper East Fork and Gilman Tunnels are all nice this time of year. 

We are flying into Albuquerque Oct 23rd and going straight to Los Alamos to stay with my girlfriend's dad, then going to camp the next 5 days over by White Rock and then eventually make it to El Rito before flying out the following Sunday.  We still haven't come up with a good itinerary but those were the two areas that we took note of.  I'd like to do moderate Trad, and sport upto 5.11.

Sounds good. If you want one of these fuel cans, send me a PM...I'll be glad to part one. Enjoy!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Arizona & New Mexico
Post a Reply to "Best guide book for White rock and El Rito?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started