Mountain Project Logo

Bridge mountain scramble questions

Original Post
Bradley Pazian · · New York, New York · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 5

Hello,

We are in Vegas pretty soon here. One of the hikes I really wanted to do was Bridge Mountain. I don't think our car could make it very far up the eastern approach on rocky gap road.  I was considering driving up Lovell Canyon road to Red Rock summit road and see how far up the road we can make it to the trailhead. Alternatively I'm willing to road walk which looks closer from the west. Anyone done this or been up the road recently? I'm just curios how bad it is. We are going to be in a Subaru Forester.

Thanks,

Brad

Matt Kuehl · · Las Vegas · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 1,712

The Lovell Canyon side of the Rocky Gap road (Red Rock Summit rd) is really gnarly and would not be passable in a car by a long shot.  Driving up a ways from Willow Springs would be a better call, but make sure to find and appropriate pull off to park along the road if you do.  Alternatively the walk/hike to the trailhead from Willow really isn't that bad by Red Rock standards and might just be the way to go if you are not wanting to put wear and tear on the vehicle. 

Chalk in the Wind · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 3

^^^^^

This. The Lovell Canyon side is horrible. I once saw a tourist get a small rental SUV amazingly stuck just downhill from the pass and TH. I don't want to imagine what it cost to get that thing out.

Bradley Pazian · · New York, New York · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 5

So comparing the two road walks heres how they shape up:

So assuming I don't attempt either road it's 1.8 miles further from the East and it has 764 more feet of gain.  Getting to the west side trailhead is a bit of a drive but it leads to a shorter roadwalk.  The Lovell Canyon road is pretty good correct? It's just the Red Rock Summit portion thats bad? Anyone have any thoughts on how far up the Rocky Gap side I may be able to get in a smaller car?  If I could get even a mile up that road it might be quicker since we don't have to drive all the way to the  west side. I'm ok with some rock dodging. We were able to get a Yaris to Black Velvet canyon last year so we have some idea what these roads are like.

R. Moran · · Moab , UT · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 140

Frigidaire into the Northeast Arete. Do it!

fossana · · leeds, ut · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 13,318

Granted road conditions change, but as of 2 years ago from the Willow Springs side the worst part is a short set of tight, deep ridges (whoop de dos in BMX speak). From the Lovell Canyon side you drive in an extremely technical stream bed for a ways. I personally wouldn't attempt the stream bed without super high clearance, a spotter, and a hi-lift jack.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Nevada
Post a Reply to "Bridge mountain scramble questions"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started