Mountain Project Logo

Dirtbagging because I don't want to fuck up my climbing; girlfriend not happy

Original Post
Nick Sweeney · · Spokane, WA · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 969

When we first made out at a party, my girlfriend (a non-climber) and I were in agreement that at some point we'd be productive members of society. After going on our first date, however, I began climbing a little more seriously and it has become a large part of my life now. I love how my body looks, how healthy and powerful it is, and what it can do on the rocks. I also value my free time and our ability to live off the waste of society. So my feelings about being a productive member of society have changed and I think I've decided against ever being one. I know, I know, there are a lot of great people out there who have had jobs and are still crushing and enjoying their lives. But, as an 20 year old, I know there is a lot more to their story that you might not know about. Being employed and going to college can fuck up your headspace and your psyche in more ways than you think, and taking on the responsibility of showing up to an office five days a week is the most stressful thing you can do to yourself. Understandably, my girlfriend is upset. She has always been excited about owning a car that was manufactured in the last ten years. I'm in my early twenties, so it's a pretty time-sensitive problem. What have been your experiences with living indoors, having a job, maintaining basic hygiene, and continuing climbing?

Melanie Shea · · Colorado Springs · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 10

Lol, Jane W was basically looking for an excuse from fucking mp to wreck her husband's life

Melanie Shea · · Colorado Springs · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 10

You're only young once (YOYO) is this going to be a new catch phrase?

Jeff Luton · · It's complicated · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 5

Dude I lived in a van, now I live in an apartment with my chick. Let's just say I still forget to put on deodorant and smell the same as I did in a van. I don't climb every day anymore. I spend less time drinking beer on a beach. I don't have nearly as much fun now. Words of advice from a 24 year old who shouldn't have stopped dirtbaggin, dump the chick, get a van, enjoy your life and don't get sucked into another chick and throw it all away. Live your life, not hers dude 

cheers, Jeff 

Josh Gates · · Wilmington, DE · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 4

Yeah.... so Jane was immediately called a troll. This obvious spoof of that post gets credulity from several folks. 

Edit: and from several more, even after it's been made obvious that it's not legit.

No sociological lesson to be learned here, none at all.

z.schmidt · · Shanghai, China · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 0

You should show your gf this post.

Daniel Joder · · Barcelona, ES · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 0

I think Nick and Jane are a perfect match! I think they need to hook up. "Fun with Nick and Jane...!!!"

Nick Goldsmith · · Pomfret VT · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 440
Xavier Pugliese · · Moab, UT · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 0

five star shitpost 

Ryan Bowen · · Bend, Or · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 85
Nick Sweeney wrote:

... as an 20 year old...

yer gunna die with that grammar

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 252

Assuming she’s down for that...

If she is not into Van life find one that is

Woodchuck ATC · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 3,280

In today's world, it's about Health Insurance !   You get some at least with a regular job.  You gotta be independently rich to afford your own insurance premiums AND to live the dirtbag climber life in your van.   One lame unexpected injury, or as we now see, unexpected rockfall !!!..can put a real change and end to your dirtbag life and put you in financial chaos or dept due to unexpected medical expenses.   I too,just passed over this frame of thought through my 20's, thinking I was indestructible and go on forever doing my thing in life.

Ryan Pfleger · · Boise, ID · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 25
Greg Shea wrote:

Lol, Jane W was basically looking for an excuse from fucking mp to wreck her husband's life

Riiiight... she should have kids when she doesnt want them. That will make them both SO happy! The kids too I'm sure.

Tapawingo Markey · · Reno? · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 75

I'm stuck here procrastinating doing some excel work for grad research so I'll bite...

Do what you want and quit trying to find validation for a life decision only you can make through an internet forum. 

chris murphy · · Centennial Co · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 20

this needs to be on the page with janes post :)

caesar.salad · · earth · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 75
Josh Gates wrote:

Yeah.... so Jane was immediately called a troll. This obvious spoof of that post gets credulity from several folks. 

Edit: and from several more, even after it's been made obvious that it's not legit.

This.

Em Cos · · Boulder, CO · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 5
Josh Gates wrote:

Woman: I'd like to prioritize climbing over living the life society expects of me, like having kids, and my partner is unhappy about it. 

MP: You're selfish, you're ruining your partner's life, and you should think more about his happiness than your own. 

Man: I'd like to prioritize climbing over living the life society expects of me, like having a stable job, and my partner is unhappy about it. 

MP: Do what makes you happy! Ditch your partner, find a different one! Who cares about her feelings!

All the women: <facepalm>

Nick Sweeney · · Spokane, WA · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 969
Em Cos wrote:

Man: 

I'm a boy, thank you

Eli Boardman · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 742
Nick Sweeney wrote:

I'm a boy, thank you

No, you're a troll.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Dirtbagging because I don't want to fuck up my…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started