Mountain Project Logo

1 Week in Spain: Suggestions?

Original Post
Lothian Buss · · Durango, CO · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 15

Hi All,

I've got 9 days in Spain coming up mid December. I like to climb 5.7-5.10, my buddy likes 5.8 to 5.12. We like multi pitch trad multi pitch sport, and fun single pitch sport.

We start in Barcelona. I was thinking Long multi pitch sport within a 3 hour drive, then head down to Valencia/Costa Blanca for multi-pitch trad sea cliffs, and random sport...

Looking for Ideas! Also, suggestions for good guidebooks.

Thanks!

-Lothian

matvey · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 55

anyone? I'm wondering about 5.7-5.10a (so roughly 6a at most, right )

pierref · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 0

http://www.senderosdealicante.com/delaroca/index.html

Is a good guide book but only in spanish (i don't speak spanish but i use it).

The other guidebook is from rockfax'( in english). It's a compilation of other guidebooks. Certainly a good business but a poor respect of the locals.

The south of valencia area (penon, sella, ponoch, ....) is great, perfect for the season (better than west of Barcelona) and fit your expectation.

Enjoy

Pierre

matvey · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 55

Thanks Pierre! I think I might buy the books when I get there.

Two areas we were considering were Siurana (looks like most climbs are well above 10a though) and Monserrat (looks a bit slabby in various pictures) - any input on these?

Joe Prescott · · Berlin Germany · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 6

Siurana is great and there is plenty to do at 6a (10b) and under, you'll just have to visit several sectors but I've done several great 6a routes. I stay in the town of Cornudella de Montsant and driving to other places like Margalef, La Mussara, Arobli, Montsant is easy to climb for a day. I've stayed at La Villeta 3 or 4 times for 16 Euro/night with access to full kitchen and they have a bunch of guidebooks you can borrow that cover the region.

Joe

Nick Lozica · · Mammoth Lakes, CA · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 120

Go to siurran and margelef 

Will Maness · · Terrebonne, OR · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 115

El Chorro is great! Incredible amount of climbing all within walking distance of the two hostel/campground options! Did a 250m bolted route there earlier this year! Beautiful area, awesome climbing. Get after it!

Brian in SLC · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Oct 2003 · Points: 21,746
Will Maness wrote:

El Chorro is great! Incredible amount of climbing all within walking distance of the two hostel/campground options! Did a 250m bolted route there earlier this year! Beautiful area, awesome climbing. Get after it!

Bit further than a 3 hour drive from BCN....but...great area.

A short hop by air is Mallorca...might be nice that time of year.

Monserrat is a big area with a bunch of routes in your grade range.  Steep cobbles in a neat setting.  Some long multi pitch.

There's an enormous amount of climbing north of Llieda.  "Llieda Climbs" has over 2700 routes and you can get a version with English.  Only 2-3 hours from Barcelona.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

International
Post a Reply to "1 Week in Spain: Suggestions?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started