Mountain Project Logo

Asheville - Table Rock - Linville Beta

Original Post
Mark NH · · 03053 · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 0

Hey NC Climbers,

I’m headed to the Asheville area approximately October 12 to 18. The plan is to climb / mtb / drink beer while in the area. I’d like to do some easy / moderate trad hence Table Rock. My plan is to spend a couple nights at Tsali (to mtb) on arrival and then a couple nights at Davidson River (also mtb) towards departure. With that, a few questions:

- any recommended camping closer to Table Rock / Linville

- what are the can’t miss routes (yeah, pretty much any under 5.8 at Table are on my list)

- what breweries are can’t miss / avoid in Asheville and surrounding area

- anything else you thinks helpful to know

I’ll be looking for partners (will post in partner forum too) and flexible in what days I climb after the couple days at Tsali. Im 57, been climbing all disciplines for 35 years, safe and all about having a great day out. I’ve been climbing allot this year - but def easy as I’m coming off a two year elbow injury. I’m bringing a full rack and ropes. And most likely some New England IPAs!

Hit me up with PM here or text at 603-nine twenty one-19 nineteen.

Thanks in advance. Can’t wait to visit!

Mark

TM2 · · North Carolina · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 0

Mark, 

Primitive camping is available along the road up to Table Rock, or you can park in the Table Rock lot and camp nearby.  There is a pit toilet at the Table Rock lot, but no water available unless you go hunting for a spring that may or may not be running.  I've heard they have had some bear issues this year, so store your food properly?  Camping places other than those, which are not within the actual wilderness area, requires a permit on the weekends.  Others on here can probably give you additional info or recommendations for spots up there.

There is a forest service tent & RV campground at Linville Falls just off the Blue Ridge Parkway about 20-25 minutes from the climbing.  Running water & bathrooms.  You can reserve spots through the recreation.gov site.  It's popular this time of year though so you may have to try for one of the spots that is first-come-first serve - which is about half the campground.  It's a well run place as long as you don't mind the RVers.

And I like the French Broad Brewery - smaller, low key, not flashy - but good beer in the tasting room and nice folks.  They've been there since way before Sierra Nevada and New Belgium moved in.

Good Luck!

AField · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2011 · Points: 55

Fonta Flora brewing in Morganton, and Appalachian Mountain Brewing in Boone. ^Everything above on camping. Plenty on old 105/Kistler Memorial Highway too. There's plenty of climbers at the Table Rock parking area just look for climbing stickers. 

Brie Abram · · Celo, NC · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 493

If you're up at Table Rock, you should definitely consider heading to Boone, maybe even instead of Asheville, for beer. Appalachian Mountain Brewery is one of the most consistently high quality breweries in the region. Across the board good stuff. I'd seriously put some of the stuff up against anything anywhere

There is easy camping near the parking lot of Table Rock: walk a couple hundred yards past the toilets, away from Table Rock.

If you can handle 5.8, White Lightning is a can't miss. Second Stanza is highly rated at 5.8, but it has a legit 5.10- move on it.

The Mummy, Daddy, and Good Heavens are great wilderness routes near Table Rock in the Amphitheater. Same parking lot. The Prow is not a good route.

Ship Rock is also nearby with easy access and has a bunch of routes in that range including Boardwalk and Edge of a Dream, one of the most photogenic 5.7s anywhere

Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0

White lightning and cracker jack are both fun at table rock.

Peter Pitocchi · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 70

North Ridge should not be missed 5.5 with a single 5.8 move. Also Jim Dandy is fun.

Big thanks to everyone that replied. Based on suggestions gonna stay in Boone / Banner Elk area Saturday thru Monday. I figure finding weekend partners is easier than week! So it looks like:

- Tsali mtb Thursday and Friday

- Table Rock Saturday and Sunday (Monday too or Mt Mitchell hike)

- DuPont mtb Tuesday 

Thanks for all the camping, route and brewery suggestions! 

Mark

John Kelly · · Greenville, SC · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 45

I did a 6 pitch to The some of the Table Rock this past spring with a fox guide whom I'm still friends with I'll hit him up and see if he can tell me what routes we took. I know the toughest one was 5/8 which was the last pitch

There's a Crux outcropping on the fifth pitch that we took but again I am not sure of the routes I'll ask Christian if he remembers and the give me a list of the routes and I'll pass them along

John Kelly · · Greenville, SC · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 45

BTW my profile photo is me summiting the last pitch. He told me it was a 5.4 5.5 but turned out to be the hardest one so he got the bird but just in jest. That's a really nice climb

Spent a great week in NC. Got in some great mountain biking and a day of climbing at Table Rock (rained out other day). Thanks to all the locals who posted beta as it all helped out! I’ll be back!

Rick L · · Medford, OR · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 50
Peter Pitocchi wrote:

North Ridge should not be missed 5.5 with a single 5.8 move. Also Jim Dandy is fun.

Where is the 5.8 move on north ridge ?

Peter Pitocchi · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 70

I always go right on the first pitch as it appears to be the path of least resistance, but as you get about 30-40 feet up there is a little bulgy roofy awkwardy spot where you trend left again, as I recall.  It feels like an 8 move to me. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern States
Post a Reply to "Asheville - Table Rock - Linville Beta"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started