Mountain Project Logo

Favorite kids full body harness?

Original Post
OldAndCrotchety . · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0

My 7 year old seems to have taken an interest in climbing, so thinking of getting her a harness rather than renting from the gym.  For piece of mind I'd prefer a full body harness over the regular type that the gym has, but I've never seen one in person let alone used one so have no basis to decide on beyond which color she'd like better.  

True, being old and crotchety I'd just as soon put her in a swami with a single length sling crossed around her shoulders for an improvised chest harness, but I like to spoil her.  If it matters she's big for a 7 year old at ~65 pounds and 53".  Looks like REI (local to me) carries the Petzl Simba and the Edelrid Fraggle II, with the main differences being the Edelrid is padded and has a waist strap around the back.

Any opinions or other harnesses I should look at?

Tomily ma · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2011 · Points: 520

I bought the fraggle xxs when my daughter was 1 or so. She loved swinging in it. Three years later it looks great and she climbs in it. She can put it on and off by herself, especially the clip. I have friends with the petzl and it is definitely not as comfy for kid or as easy to get on/adjust (but more $?). Fraggle is the awesome 

FWIW, REI has the Fraggle and the Petzl for the same price.  The padding and back waist loop has me leaning towards the Fraggle.  And yeah, swinging is where it's at.  She'll only go up 6 feet since she's scared of heights, at which point she lowers a bit and then swings until I get tired of holding her there.  

Wes C · · Cleveland, oh · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 146

My youngest also has the edelrid fraggle as well and loves it.  Compared to the petzl that he used once at the gym it's much easier for him to put on and more comfortable.  My oldest is/was much more comfortable with dangling in the harness.  He has used the edelrid finn since he started climbing, though it was a little big at first.

Linnaeus · · ID · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 0

BD recently came out with a new Momentum body harness for kids, which is a nice update from their old children's body harness. The new one has padding. Got it for my daughter but haven't had a chance to use it with her yet. 

M Mobley · · Bar Harbor, ME · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 911

7 year olds are safe wearing normal harnesses, mine has since she was 5.5 years old. The full body harness gets no use besides for her friends that come along sometimes.

Adam Reinhardt · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2011 · Points: 0

As others have mentioned, by that age the full body is not likely needed. I found the best option was a regular kids harness and the petzl chest harness for kids. It allowed good comfort and the ability to switch between harness only and a chest height tie in point. 

From those I've talked other kids the fragile is very comfortable. My kids found the petzl fill body harness uncomfortable and they didn't want to wear it. 

That may well be, T Roper, but she specifically wants a full body harness because it's safer.  How she knows such a thing exists is a bit of a mystery to me, as she's never seen one.

OldAndCrotchety . wrote:

That may well be, T Roper, but she specifically wants a full body harness because it's safer.  How she knows such a thing exists is a bit of a mystery to me, as she's never seen one.

If that's what it takes to get her out there that's what I'd get.  The fragill is padded very similar in the legs as the Finn.  It also is the same color scheme so my youngest happy that it looks like his big brothers.

Thanks for the guidance everyone.  I confirmed with her that she wants to keep climbing (she's only been twice) and wants a full body harness, so ordered the Fraggle.  She's super excited.  She's growing like a weed so I think I'll keep renting her shoes for now rather than build up a pile of shoes that last only a couple months.

We got these for my youngest as his first shoes, they have adjustable heels so they can get some extra use out of them.

Boreal Ninjas for kids

Had not heard of those, Wes C.  They look like the perfect solution.  Thanks!

M Mobley · · Bar Harbor, ME · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 911
OldAndCrotchety . wrote:

Thanks for the guidance everyone.  I confirmed with her that she wants to keep climbing (she's only been twice) and wants a full body harness, so ordered the Fraggle.  She's super excited.  She's growing like a weed so I think I'll keep renting her shoes for now rather than build up a pile of shoes that last only a couple months.

climbing twice and insists on specific gear? wow. take charge.

T Roper wrote:

climbing twice and insists on specific gear? wow. take charge.

More that she's 7, never been climbing before, is scared of heights, and is physically timid.  She thinks having something around her chest will make it less scary, so I'll oblige in hopes it will get her past 6 feet off the ground on TR.

physnchips · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 0

There's also chest harness add-ons that you can look at if the full body sizes don't totally fit (typically lasts around 5yrs of age but your daughter may be a bit smaller). If she gets more into it eventually and goes outside make sure she goes with someone that knows what they're doing and that can do rescue (sometimes just helping a kid down from halfway up a route).

edelweiss · · Seattle, WA · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 0
physnchips wrote:

If she gets more into it eventually and goes outside make sure she goes with someone that knows what their doing and that can do rescue (sometimes just helping a kid down from halfway up a route).

Good point! 

This is off the topic, but it's good at the beginning to choose routes with access to the top. I've seen kids who climb to the end, get scared, grab the chain and start crying. You can't lower then unless someone gets there and talks them to let go. Shouting from the ground doesn't help. They just start crying louder. And get frustrated with climbing. 

Another thing to pay attention... If the child is very light and gets too close to the pulley, there is not enough weight and they get stuck. Someone has to go there and pull them down a bit. Your daughter is probably past that stage at 65 lbs, but she may need some encouragement nonetheless. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Favorite kids full body harness?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started