Mountain Project Logo

Hard Shell Pants & Gloves

Original Post
Andy Matthews · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 0

Hey I was wondering what everyone is using as far as hard shell pants and gloves goes. I mostly participate in 3 season mountaineering in the lower 48  with potential of 4 season and possibly some ice climbing down the road. Thanks for the suggestions. 

Alex James · · Redmond, WA · Joined May 2016 · Points: 191

I have a pair of Arcteryx Alpha AR pants that I really like. They have all the small things that make them nice like a clip on the pant leg for your boot, or putting the pocket on the thigh just below where your harness leg loop sits. The Goretex Pro or whatever its called (the higher grade goretex) that's on that pant and other stuff like BD sharp end shell, holds up really well. I haven't noticed any knicks from rubbing against rock or the couple times I've accidentally snagged the tip of axe on the pant. Being Goretex, it is wind/water proof and since its the higher end goretex, it also is decently breathable and not super heavy. It also does have the crampon kickstep patch but that's fairly standard on mountaineering pants. 

You can generally find them on sale or outlet or something so you don't have to pay whatever exorbitant price Arcteryx charges for them. 

jdejace · · New England · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 5

http://nwalpine.com/store-1/neoshell-salopette

OR and BD make good gloves. 

djh860 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 110

soft shell LL bean w/ spandex same from REI  found on Ebay

Gavin W · · NW WA · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 181

I don't use hardshell pants at all so I can't really comment on that (closest I get is Gore Windstopper for skiing) but as far as gloves go these get my recommendation:

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5024-101/Prophet-Gloves

Reinforced leather palms, neoprene cuffs, WP/B insert, and light insulation, for $69 CAD (comparable to the BD Punisher gloves at $119 CAD). Since you can easily wear through a pair of gloves in a season with regular use, I think it makes sense to go with something like this that can be had for a good value.

Tony K · · Pa · Joined May 2017 · Points: 0

I don't use hard shell pants or jacket I go with a good soft shell as this allows me to easily layer up or down as the weather conditions change

as for gloves I'm a fan of BD fingered and mitten with various liners again for the changing conditions 

Jonny d · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2011 · Points: 40

Big fan of OR gloves-- Alibis and Lodestars.

Andy Matthews · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 0

Thank you all for all the advice and suggestions, I’ll check it all out!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Mountaineering
Post a Reply to "Hard Shell Pants & Gloves"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.