Mountain Project Logo

Tahquitz areas/routes to be avoided?

Original Post
Brian morin · · Simi Valley, CA · Joined May 2015 · Points: 10

Wanting to get some moderates in at Tahquitz. With some of the recent rock fall that has occurred, are there any areas/routes that should be avoided?

Trad Princess · · Not That Into Climbing · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 1,175

Locals only braj.

DannyJ · · San Diego, CA · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 95

I don't think anything needs to be outright avoided, but if you're going to be climbing left of maiden buttress (NW recess/NE face), I wouldn't climb under another party and watch what you're pulling on. The rock on the W and S faces is solid. Traitor Horn, Open Book, Dave's Deviation, Angel's Fright, Human Fright, El Camino Real, Fingertrip, and Jenson's Jaunt are all very popular climbs. 

grid bolting · · California · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 0
Addem Bursh wrote:
grid bolting · · California · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 0

And you must be from San Diego 

grid bolting wrote:

And you must be from San Diego 

That's correct.

Definition of Idyllwild Local is:  lives in/near the pit toilet at humber park, or in a pickup behind Nomads, or San Diego.

EDIT:  Also check out Sarah Tara, great route with no loose roks.

David K · · The Road, Sometimes Chattan… · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 423

If you aren't sure you are on a route you should avoid, it's local ethic to yell to neighboring parties asking them if the route is safe.

S Saunders · · Oakdale, CA · Joined Sep 2007 · Points: 45

Tahquitz is always shedding something. The closer you get to anything 5.7 and below, the more gumbies will be kicking stuff down on you. El Camino Real is a fairly clean route without a lot of cross traffic. Farewell Horizontal to the Wong/Long is pretty good.

I miss that place.

Benjamin Chapman · · Small Town, USA · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 18,963

San Diego...Local??? LOL. San Diego is 4 hours away. Try Riverside, Hemet, or E. San Gabriel Valley, that's local...braj.

Even the Chargers don't care for San Diego....braj.

Benjamin Chapman wrote:

Seriously though, Chapman - don't you have some climbing pictures of girls 30-40 years your junior to make comments on?  Time's a wastin!

steverett · · Boston, MA · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 105

It's 2 hours away, Mr Chapped Man

Benjamin Chapman · · Small Town, USA · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 18,963

Nice pecs....braj. Go pump some weights.

B Owens · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 60
Benjamin Chapman wrote:

I don't know if this is some kind of inside joke/troll thing, but the drive from San Diego County to Humber Park is anywhere from 1.5 hours (if you live in eastern Vista) to 2.5 hours (if you live down by the Mexican border).  So...it's never actually 3 hours unless you drive less than the speed limit and/or encounter traffic (so don't leave during rush hour).

Benjamin Chapman wrote:

Apparently the Evil Mendez joke went over your head, but I wouldn't expect you to be dialed into the complicated nuances of MP online lulz, so it's all good braj.

Lastly, when did you see my pecs?  I pretty much have none, so if you can send some my way, I'd be much obliged.  Or some man-boob.

To the OP - weather is cooling down somewhat, you might be okay over at Suicide if it's not blazing sun this time of year.  Rockfall less of an issue there.  Stay away from the North Side of Tahquitz if you head that way, to play it "safe."  Also, go early, or you will likely have someone overhead which = no bueno regardless of location.

Jason Kim · · Encinitas, CA · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 255

Get there super early and avoid the stuff left of maidens as suggested above and odds are in your favor.

I once left home at 4 am, did Fingertrip and was back in Encinitas by noon. So, am local I guess.

Greg Davis · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2008 · Points: 10
Bowens wrote:

I don't know if this is some kind of inside joke/troll thing, but the drive from San Diego County to Humber Park is anywhere from 1.5 hours (if you live in eastern Vista) to 2.5 hours (if you live down by the Mexican border).  So...it's never actually 3 hours unless you drive less than the speed limit and/or encounter traffic (so don't leave during rush hour).

OK DUDE great u r splitting hairs... how bout this u r being mean to a guy looking for BETA so may be youshould try to be more of a ambassador to ur local comunity?!?

THIINK ABOUT THAT EVER?

I think you should avoid any climb that has another climber on it or has had a climber this season, on it or not

Guy Keesee · · Moorpark, CA · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 349
Guy Keesee wrote:

Guy, you sure?  Captain Hook, Hernia, that stuff right of Flower.  Heck, Flower is moderate depending on how strong you are.

nathanael · · Riverside, CA · Joined May 2011 · Points: 525
Guy Keesee wrote:

more like suicide has only moderate climbs... cmon 5.11 slab might have been cool in the 70s

nathanael wrote:

more like suicide has only moderate climbs... cmon 5.11 slab might have been cool in the 70s

More like suicide has no climbs.  

I   have all the climbs, as those are my rocks, bro.

Mike0110 · · Long Beach, CA · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 5
Addem Bursh wrote:

More like suicide has no climbs.  

I   have all the climbs, as those are my rocks, bro.

You and Nate dog need to just bone and get it over with.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern California
Post a Reply to "Tahquitz areas/routes to be avoided?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started