Mountain Project Logo

Ropeman

Original Post
Rudy Chavira · · Taylorsville. Ut · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0

Has anyone had experience with ropeman 1 using it for TR free solo, does it feed without taking up slack? Thanks.

DrRockso RRG · · Red River Gorge, KY · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 815
Rudy Chavira wrote:

Has anyone had experience with ropmean 1 using it for TR free solo, does it feed without taking up slack? Thanks.

Roped free solo?? Bee boo bah boo beep, (robot voice ) :does not compute.  

DrRockso wrote:

Ropes free solo?? Bee boo bah boo beep, (robot voice ) :does not compute.  

Simple don't know will do.

Bill Czajkowski · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Oct 2008 · Points: 20
Rudy Chavira wrote:

Simple don't know will do.

"Free solo" means what to you? Not what it usually means, it appears. 

ClimbingOn · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2008 · Points: 0

It could be used, yes. However, that is not its intended purpose. Have others used it to TR solo? Absolutely. Should you? That depends.

I would recommend two Petzl micro traxions used with a chest harness for TR soloing.

Regardless of what device(s) you use to TR solo, you will want to weight the end of your rope to help with ease of feeding, the slack problem you mention. Tie/clip your pack to the end of the rope with a few pounds in it - a water bottle or two and some extra gear should do the trick.

If you really want to use a Ropeman 1, I have one I would sell you for $34 + shipping.

Also, regardless of what device(s) you use to TR solo, make certain to tie back-up knots. These will help keep you safe.

David Coley · · UK · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 70
Rudy Chavira wrote:

Has anyone had experience with ropeman 1 using it for TR free solo, does it feed without taking up slack? Thanks.

Just; if rope thin and weight on rope. Use a traxion.

20 kN · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 1,346

I would not use any single ascender for TR solo except in an emergency. They are not really intended for fall arrest and they can slip or come off the rope under some circumstances. I've seen ascenders slip and tear up a rope before on bodyweight alone and I've also seen them pop off the rope before. That's why people normally use two Micro Traxions if they are going to use combination pulleys for TR solo.

eli poss · · Durango, CO · Joined May 2014 · Points: 525
20 kN wrote:

I would not use any single ascender for TR solo except in an emergency. They are not really intended for fall arrest and they can slip or come off the rope under some circumstances. I've seen ascenders slip and tear up a rope before on bodyweight alone and I've also seen them pop off the rope before. That's why people normally use two Micro Traxions if they are going to use combination pulleys for TR solo.

I would agree with you for normal ascenders but I can't imagine how the rope could ever pop off the ropeman unless you either put it on incorrectly or the biner broke. The cam could get stuck open which would certainly be bad but it can't just pop off the rope like a handled ascender.

20 kN · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 1,346
eli poss wrote:

I would agree with you for normal ascenders but I can't imagine how the rope could ever pop off the ropeman unless you either put it on incorrectly or the biner broke. The cam could get stuck open which would certainly be bad but it can't just pop off the rope like a handled ascender.

I was speaking in general terms about ascenders. The Ropeman cannot come off the rope, but the cam can fail to lock.

DWF 3 · · Boulder, CO · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 186

I use a ropeman for TR solo regularly as a backup to a micro traxion. It's not my favorite setup (I would prefer 2 micro traxions) but I do like the simplicity of the device and the comfort that it would be nearly impossible for it to not grab the rope. With the proper biner it will feed well enough but no where near as nicely as the micro traxion. 

Don Ferris wrote:

I use a ropeman for TR solo regularly as a backup to a micro traxion. It's not my favorite setup (I would prefer 2 micro traxions) but I do like the simplicity of the device and the comfort that it would be nearly impossible for it to not grab the rope. With the proper biner it will feed well enough but no where near as nicely as the micro traxion. 

Don some comments regarding the teeth damaging rope is this a big concern? I'm probably going with a mini traction, and micro, since I already own mini. Thsnks

Phil Powell · · Burley In Wharfedale, West… · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 0

I use a petzl rescucender for ropes solos

Leslie H · · Keystone · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 415

I  use a ropeman 2 fo TR solo and love it! It is small, but so are my fingers so it's not an issue. 

DWF 3 · · Boulder, CO · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 186
Rudy Chavira wrote:

Don some comments regarding the teeth damaging rope is this a big concern? I'm probably going with a mini traction, and micro, since I already own mini. Thsnks

The mini and micro are also toothed devices. I don't think it's as big of a deal as people say. If you're shredding your sheath your setup is wrong and you need to keep your primary device pulled up and feeding nicely. If those are taken care of it will not damage your rope. Period. 

Andrew Vinzant · · Kansas City, MO · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 1,449

I use a Ropeman MK1F for TR solo and love it.

Andrew Vinzant wrote:

I use a Ropeman MK1F for TR solo and love it.

Andrew is that the only one your using.?

caughtinside wrote:

I use a ropeman 2 as a backup for my traxion. Works great. I would use it as a primary device. 

Hey does it feed smooth? Without manually moving it up

Thanks to all for great info, very helpful, I believe I have chosen set up. Stay safe

Andrew Vinzant · · Kansas City, MO · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 1,449

I use just the one device on one fixed line.

Nick Drake · · Kent, WA · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 651
Rudy Chavira wrote:

Hey does it feed smooth? Without manually moving it up

The thing I've found more important than weight on the rope at the start of a pitch is to keep the primary device high. A lot of people use two 60cm slings crossed and go to that with a shock cord, at 5'7" that left the upper device just barely above my belly button. A 120cm sling crossed in an X behind the back with both loops clipped in front of the shoulders let me get the top device higher/taught to the belay loop. Once I did that feeding became much smoother. 

Also on a micro/rollnlock doing a girth of a short shock cord in the biner clip is best for orienting the main device. Not sure how well you would be able to do this with a ropeman, if the shock cord would get in the way. Maybe some tube/tape on the spine side of the biner and girth your shock cord on the other side of the device.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Ropeman"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started