Mountain Project Logo

Totem Basic voluntary recall

Original Post
jbasterra · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0

Dear Customer,

We, Totem MT., are voluntarily recalling all Basic cams with serial numbers starting from 1706200 to 1733205  which we kindly request you to stop using immediately

Please, follow the link below for all the information:

http://www.totemcams.com/voluntary-recall-basic/

Totem MT

Stephen Lander · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 12

Does this recall also apply to Kailas Nuco cams?

Alexander Stathis · · Chattanooga, TN · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 656

Isn't this more or less the same issue that affected the CCH Aliens? 

jbasterra · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0

Dear Stephen, thanks for your question.

No. This recall does not affect to Kailas Nuco cams, only Basics with the abovementioned serial number.

baldclimber · · Ottawa, Ontario, Canada · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 6

Where to find the SN:

None of mine are affected.

edited: replaced my own image with the one from Totem's announcement.  It only shows in incognito mode in Chrome for me. 

Keith W · · Denvah · Joined May 2015 · Points: 95

Does this also apply to Offset basics? Or is it all basic models in general?

Sean Fujimori · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1
Keith W wrote:

Does this also apply to Offset basics? Or is it all basic models in general?

I assume so, if the serial numbers fall within the flawed range. I just emailed them about two hybrids, so hopefully can confirm soon one way or the other. 

al ex · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 20

Oh man. I have three affected cams and I have really grown to like them. I hope I won't have to be without them for too long. 

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 252
baldclimber wrote:

Where to find the SN:

None of mine are affected.

edited: replaced my own image with the one from Totem's announcement.  It only shows in incognito mode in Chrome for me. 

Maybe it thought that was a...nevermind. ;)

Ugh...time to check mine!  Have fallen on the Green and didn't die, so hopefully that means they're ok.

slim · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2004 · Points: 1,103

it's good that they have found this issue and let people know.  it's bad though that they changed a manufacturing process and assumed that changes in the surface wouldn't have any side effects.

Cam Brown · · Portland · Joined May 2015 · Points: 145

Anyone have any idea (~rough time frame) when Totem might have replacements for the basics? It took just over a week to get a reply from Totem but I have yet to hear of a process to address the issue. How many cams do you own that have been affected (I have 7)? What are others expectations for receiving replacements, etc? My favorite cams are gone from my rack. Perhaps I need to re-sling my old metolious cams and role the dice with my old aliens again, or perhaps my affected basics 6-7Kn strength doesn't sound too bad in many lead scenarios... especially if aid climbing up to C3 terrain.

al ex · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 20
CamBrown wrote:

Anyone have any idea (~rough time frame) when Totem might have replacements for the basics? It took just over a week to get a reply from Totem but I have yet to hear of a process to address the issue. How many cams do you own that have been affected (I have 7)? What are others expectations for receiving replacements, etc? My favorite cams are gone from my rack. Perhaps I need to re-sling my old metolious cams and role the dice with my old aliens again, or perhaps my affected basics 6-7Kn strength doesn't sound too bad in many lead scenarios... especially if aid climbing up to C3 terrain.

Well, they have had to recall all the basic cams they manufactured over about 6 month span. And production is currently stopped. Unless hey drop everything (such as making Totem cams) or dramatically up their limited production capacity, I don't see how this recall doesn't last well into next year. 

Eric and Lucie · · Boulder, CO · Joined Oct 2004 · Points: 140
John Wilder wrote:

... in the swage process... 

Just for the record: the issue is with the brazing between the stem cable and the head (not swaging).

Seth D · · New jersey · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 15

Bump as it is now March 17th and still waiting for over $250 in cams.  Their update in Mid February stated that they haven't even begun to manufacture new ones yet.  I have remained quite patient be we are now out over 6 months and they haven't even figured out how to fix the issue it seems.  This could easily last a lot longer and now spring is about to hit here in the Northeast.....  

I'm not freaking out yet but curious how everyone affected by this recall is feeling right now?

Sean Fujimori · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1
Seth D wrote:

Bump as it is now March 17th and still waiting for over $250 in cams.  Their update in Mid February stated that they haven't even begun to manufacture new ones yet.  I have remained quite patient be we are now out over 6 months and they haven't even figured out how to fix the issue it seems.  This could easily last a lot longer and now spring is about to hit here in the Northeast.....  

I'm not freaking out yet but curious how everyone affected by this recall is feeling right now?

I just asked for a refund back in January and they sent a check within a couple weeks. Got a black totem with it :)

Cam Brown · · Portland · Joined May 2015 · Points: 145

I emailed them two weeks ago and haven’t heard anything. I have four cams that are affected and another 4 totem basics that were not. I’m pretty bummed about the lack of communication and time line recive replacements. Perhaps it is time to ask for a refund and get a few aliens. 

Z Pena · · San Diego, CA · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 360

Received this from totem Mar 27th regarding my recalled basics. Still haven't gotten anything in the mail or heard any further updates. 

"Dear customer,

As we are not able to say when we will restart the production of the Basic cams and the rock climbing season is getting close, we have decided to replace your affected BASIC cams with the Totem Cam model, of course, without any aditional cost for you.

This replacement is based on the utility range (size) of your affected Basic units. Your affected BASIC units will be replaced by Totem Cam units with the closest utility range possible.

Considering this, in the link below you can download the replacement confirmation PDF. If you notice any mistake, please contact us as soon as possible.

If we do not have any response after 15 days from this email has been sent, the datas will be taken as true and we will supply you the Totem cams mentioned in the replacement confirmation sheet.
"

eli poss · · Durango, CO · Joined May 2014 · Points: 525
Zack Pena wrote: Received this from totem Mar 27th regarding my recalled basics. Still haven't gotten anything in the mail or heard any further updates.

"Dear customer,

As we are not able to say when we will restart the production of the Basic cams and the rock climbing season is getting close, we have decided to replace your affected BASIC cams with the Totem Cam model, of course, without any aditional cost for you.

This replacement is based on the utility range (size) of your affected Basic units. Your affected BASIC units will be replaced by Totem Cam units with the closest utility range possible.

Considering this, in the link below you can download the replacement confirmation PDF. If you notice any mistake, please contact us as soon as possible.

If we do not have any response after 15 days from this email has been sent, the datas will be taken as true and we will supply you the Totem cams mentioned in the replacement confirmation sheet.
"

That seems pretty awesome to me. Aren't the totem cams actually more expensive than the basics? I'm glad to see that totem is offering more options than just a refund, seems like they are standing behind their products more so than some of the other gear that's currently being recalled (ahem Vergo)

Tyree Johnson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2017 · Points: 0

I just wanted my money back. The totems are inferior when compared to the basic for the type of stone we climb around here. I was told I could not get my cash back and now I have these big ass awkward heavy cams as a replacement. They suck. If I wanted to buy a big ass awkward cam, I would have bought the totem in the first place, but I chose the basic. I emailed the main guy or whatever and politely stated my case. He said sure and never gets back to me. Like a month later he said, sorry no refund. I expressed why I selected the basic over the totem and he insisted I was receiving a superior product. I again disagreed with his subjective claims and then guy was super rude and basically told me to go fuck myself. I just wanted my money back, but I suppose they’d go broke if they did that. I just don’t get it. ITS NOT WHAT I PAID FOR! How hard is this to understand? I want my cash back to select a cam that works for me, not what some guy from across the globe decides is the best thing for me. Not stoked.     

eli poss · · Durango, CO · Joined May 2014 · Points: 525
Tyree Johnson wrote: I just wanted my money back. The totems are inferior when compared to the basic for the type of stone we climb around here. I was told I could not get my cash back and now I have these big ass awkward heavy cams as a replacement. They suck. If I wanted to buy a big ass awkward cam, I would have bought the totem in the first place, but I chose the basic. I emailed the main guy or whatever and politely stated my case. He said sure and never gets back to me. Like a month later he said, sorry no refund. I expressed why I selected the basic over the totem and he insisted I was receiving a superior product. I again disagreed with his subjective claims and then guy was super rude and basically told me to go fuck myself. I just wanted my money back, but I suppose they’d go broke if they did that. I just don’t get it. ITS NOT WHAT I PAID FOR! How hard is this to understand? I want my cash back to select a cam that works for me, not what some guy from across the globe decides is the best thing for me. Not stoked.    

Totem cams are generally better than their basic counterparts. Keep in mind also that you can easily sell totem cams for MSRP on here, which would get you more money than a refund for the basics. 

chris blatchley · · woodinville, wa · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 6
Tyree Johnson wrote: I just wanted my money back. The totems are inferior when compared to the basic for the type of stone we climb around here. I was told I could not get my cash back and now I have these big ass awkward heavy cams as a replacement. They suck. If I wanted to buy a big ass awkward cam, I would have bought the totem in the first place, but I chose the basic. I emailed the main guy or whatever and politely stated my case. He said sure and never gets back to me. Like a month later he said, sorry no refund. I expressed why I selected the basic over the totem and he insisted I was receiving a superior product. I again disagreed with his subjective claims and then guy was super rude and basically told me to go fuck myself. I just wanted my money back, but I suppose they’d go broke if they did that. I just don’t get it. ITS NOT WHAT I PAID FOR! How hard is this to understand? I want my cash back to select a cam that works for me, not what some guy from across the globe decides is the best thing for me. Not stoked.    

send me your replacement totems and i'll give you the equivalent of the cash you paid for them and shipping.

i'm serious.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Totem Basic voluntary recall"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started