Mountain Project Logo

RACK ENVY

Adam Hammer · · CT · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 509
eli poss wrote:

Does it also work as a cheaper alternative to a Valley Giant #9? Cause I can spare the weight for anything that isn't super versatile/

Sure does. It's even got a nice loop to clip a draw into. Rated at 15 kN

Chase Bowman · · Durango, CO · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 1,010
eli poss wrote:

Damn dude, that's a lot of screamers. You aid a lot of choss?

Ever heard of sedona?

eli poss · · Durango, CO · Joined May 2014 · Points: 525
Chase Bowman wrote:

Ever heard of sedona?

Yep, I've heard they have a lot of very soft sandstone. I'd love to visit and climb there some time, get a good chossaneering adventure

Mark LaPierre · · spencer, MA · Joined May 2015 · Points: 70
nLuke Werner wrote:

And now the right....

couldnt resist :D

No, your gear goes in that.

Kurt G · · Monticello, UT · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 156

Happy to finally have my modest rack organized. i still have to find a spot for my ropes and its missing my few pieces of gym gear but I'm happy with it.

Dead Head · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 65

Come on I want to see your big beautiful racks!

Adam Gellman · · Bellingham WA/Burlington VT · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 261

Not big or glamorous but its how I hang it in my college dorm
Mark LaPierre · · spencer, MA · Joined May 2015 · Points: 70
Adam Gellman wrote:

Not big or glamorous but its how I hang it in my college dorm

Really it is all about how it hangs, isn't it?

schoenwetter kraxler · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 0

After years of jealously watching this thread: 'My preciousssssss!'

schoenwetter kraxler wrote:

holy shit...

Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0

Where are the big bros and valley giants???

Holy shit, I wish I had this rack (although I could live with a little less iron). Is that a triple set of totems? That's what every climber needs in his/her rack

Andrew Rice · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 11
Dead Head · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 65
AndrewArroz wrote:

No avalanche beacons? What if your rack falls over on you and buries you? How will they find your body?

How will they recover the plastic nuts?! Oh the horror!

Joe Lindberg wrote:

How will they recover the plastic nuts?! Oh the horror!

The funny part about the plastic nuts is that while the smaller 4 units are lighter than the corresponding DMM Wallnuts from which the manufacturer stole the shape design, the 4 larger units are actually heavier than the equal sizes in aluminum, because you can't machine such big holes into the plastic without endangering the structural stability of the piece. So in sum, the weight is about the same as a set of normal aluminum nuts. They bite well but not overly so compared to aluminum and are otherwise rather unremarkable compared to normal ones.

The real problem of this rack is how to bring it over the pond from Europe to the States for a Yosemite trip. The weight seems prohibitive for flying, and the size of the ledge brings additional complications. None of the airlines seem to recognize climbing gear as sport equipment for cheaper transport (as opposed to golf clubs, scuba gear or surf boards...). I'd be thankful for any hints how to handle this particular problem.

The funny part about the plastic nuts is that while the smaller 4 units are lighter than the corresponding DMM Wallnuts from which the manufacturer stole the shape design, the 4 larger units are actually heavier than the equal sizes in aluminum, because you can't machine such big holes into the plastic without endangering the structural stability of the piece. So in sum, the weight is about the same as a set of normal aluminum nuts. They bite well but not overly so compared to aluminum and are otherwise rather unremarkable compared to normal ones.

The real problem of this rack is how to bring it over the pond from Europe to the States for a Yosemite trip. The weight seems prohibitive for flying, and the size of the ledge brings additional complications. None of the airlines seem to recognize climbing gear as sport equipment for cheaper transport (as opposed to golf clubs, scuba gear or surf boards...). I'd be thankful for any hints how to handle this particular problem.

well you could start by selling your ledge in Europe and getting a D4 ledge that's much better here in the states. 

Alex Drew · · Golden, CO · Joined May 2016 · Points: 5

Could you put your ledge in a golf bag or in a ski bag they would never know.

Alex Drew wrote:

Could you put your ledge in a golf bag or in a ski bag they would never know.

Has anyone ever tried that yet? It sounds really clever to make use of the "first bag of ski equipment or golf is free" policy, but it is hard to believe that it works. If it was so easy, wouldn't people just do this for their normal luggage all the time?

stolo · · Lake Norman, NC · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 214

Has anyone ever tried that yet? It sounds really clever to make use of the "first bag of ski equipment or golf is free" policy, but it is hard to believe that it works. If it was so easy, wouldn't people just do this for their normal luggage all the time?

Try carrying a ski bag that is filled with clothes and not skis. 

As Thumper would say, "you're gonna have a bad time"

Bump.. Its... Almost.. Wall.. Season. Thought I'd upload a more current pic since my rack has grown a good bit over the years.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Trad Climbing
Post a Reply to "RACK ENVY"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started