Mountain Project Logo

Critique my Top Belay set-up

Original Post
eli poss · · Durango, CO · Joined May 2014 · Points: 525

Please critique my set-up. I'm a bit concerned about lowering. Should I drill a hole and thread some cord for that part?

Jared Moore · · Truckee, CA · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 130

brilliant!

Lou Cerutti · · Carlsbad, California · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 209

Just clip that hex cord into the locker your rope is running around to close the system and your good

Todd Anderson · · Santa Fe, NM · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 160

For lowering you can just unclip the bottom biner

Andrew Schindler · · Laramie, WY · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 76

just girth hitch a sling on your harness, redirect and then clip it to the climbers strand. sit back slowly and you're done.

James T · · Livermore · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 80

Guys you have to remember that noobz come here and don't know a joke, so for everyone's safety please change them all to wiregate biners please

James T wrote:

Guys you have to remember that noobz come here and don't know a joke, so for everyone's safety please change them all to wiregate biners please

What's a wiregate biner? I sure hope that my biner isn't being held together by wire, it's not very strong. Also, should I be worried about microfractures in my rope?

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 3,492
eli poss wrote:

What's a wiregate biner? I sure hope that my biner isn't being held together by wire, it's not very strong. Also, should I be worried about microfractures in my rope?

No. But I see metal-on-metal. Yer gonna dye. Or at least wear safety glasses so when the biners explode, as they surely will, the metal fragments don't go into your eyes.

Eric Tomaselli · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 0

Oh sweet, is that the new petzl guide? 

Joe Garibay · · Ventura, Ca · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 86

Use a wire hex. Too much rope to cord friction 

IcePick · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 100

You guys are terrible 

F r i t z · · North Mitten · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 995

Looks sketch, but I've seen setups that are more Nuts than this. I'm glad that you're seeking out community feedback and not just being Passive about it. Chock it up to experience.

David K · · The Road, Sometimes Chattan… · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 423

10/10 would whip if I could figure out how to whip on top belay.

AaronJ · · Tokyo, JP · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 231

I'm concerned about that knot in the hex cord. I seem to recall some tests that were done not too long ago that suggested knots might lower the strength of cord and slings. Has anybody else heard of this?

slim · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2004 · Points: 1,103

well, at least you found a use for an old hex.

James Schroeder · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined May 2002 · Points: 3,166
slim wrote:

well, at least you found a use for an old hex.

This!

Sean Peter · · IL · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 105

It looks like that was shot inside your house. Why the hell would you ever have to belay someone inside your house!?

Mark Says · · Basalt, CO · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 395
Sean Peter wrote:

It looks like that was shot inside your house. Why the hell would you ever have to belay someone inside your house!?

Obviously the stair lift has malfunctioned.

King Tut · · Citrus Heights · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 430
eli poss wrote:

Please critique my set-up. I'm a bit concerned about lowering. Should I drill a hole and thread some cord for that part?

Um, and what happens if the rope saws through the cord on the Hex? And I think you will find that produces a lot of friction.

And...um, someone has too much time on their hands....:P

Guy Keesee · · Moorpark, CA · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 349

Eli.....   looks great, go for it!

Sean Peter wrote:

I was being a super duper safe climber by practicing new skills on the ground. Just trying to minimize risk of the outside world while I'm still learning

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Critique my Top Belay set-up"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started