Mountain Project Logo

Vietnam/Thailand/Myanmar climbing partner

Original Post
Jess Gorton · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 0

I will begin my trip mid-october in Vietnam with only a few dates I will be in one place for sure (Chiang Mai 11/25 - 12/22) (Myanmar 12/23 - end of January. 

Before those dates and after, I will have all my gear hopping around Asia.  If anyone else is on a long term backpacking trip, I would love to meet up and climb a bit, even go to multiple climbing locations! I will have 18 draws, 70m rope, and all of my gear.  I can lead up to 11a and follow up to 11c, hopefully better as the trip goes forward! :-)  I am 26, backpacking for about a year, and just hopping to crags all around Asia! 

Let me know if this is something that interests anybody.

Carlos Benitez · · Boulder · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 5

Hi Jess, Im travelling to Asia as well but our dates dont match. will be end sept/beg october in chiang mai climbing. Here is a tip, If you are looking for crags you might want to consider Laos. check Green Climbers Home website (is in Thakek,). They built a really nice climbing campsite. worth the visit. has around 300 routes. Been there and Im going again for 3 months. 

Enjoy your trip! 

Jacob Mayerson · · Durango · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 0

Hey I live in vietnam and would totally be down to go climbing! hit me up when you get here

TaylorP · · Pump Haus, Sonora · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 0

Hey! My girlfriend and I are backpacking through Asia and should be in Vietnam at the beginning of October. I may or may not take my rope...but ill definitely have my harness. Would be great to meet up!

Mallory Larsson · · Astoria, OR · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 0

Hey! I'm backpacking in Asia as well and will likely be in Chiangmai in december - I'd love to have a partner!

Eli Senda · · barcelona · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0

Hi, everyone!! 

I'm also going to start a climbing trip around South east asia this 15th of October. I first have planed go climbing around Thailand near Chiang Mai. After that probably to the south. But I've planned climb around thailand, malasia, laos, vietnam and cambodja at least. I go alone so It would be great found a climbing partner an share part of this climbing tripp!! 

Quincy Snowdon · · Front Range, CO · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 40

Hello to Jess & all of those in this thread,

I'm indefinitely living on Cat Ba Island in northern Vietnam and I'm always looking for climbing partners. If anyone finds themselves in the area, I'd love to rope up. I have access to a full suite of gear - couple dozen QDs, simple trad rack, shoes, about a dozen slings, grigri/atc, 60m rope, helmet - that I'm more than willing to use. I've been here for a few months and have decent knowledge of several climbing spots on the island. I can usually sport lead up to about 7a and trad lead about 6bish. Drop a line in this thread if you find yourself in the area.

Cheers!

Simon W · · Nowhere Land · Joined May 2013 · Points: 55

At all who will be in southern Thailand-

I'm looking at getting into Railay on the 17th of Oct and staying for a while.

Climbing around 12- redpoint YDS, so 7a+ French?

Experienced attentive belayer.

Brian Barrow · · Menlo Park · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 0

Hey everyone!

I'm currently living in Chiang Mai and need to do a visa run the first week of October. I'm going to be heading to Kuala Lumpur with all my gear. Anyone going to be in the city from the 3rd-9th of October? If so, lets do some climbing! 

Let me know

-Brian

Andrew Robinson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0

Hi all. I'll be in krabi starting next week for a while and will have a harness and shoes etc but no rope so if you in the area let me know :)

Cameron Green · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 0

Hey Andrew,

I arrive in Krabi on the 3rd and pretty keen on getting a few climbs in. I'm in the same boat as you though, no rope or quick draws..

Michelle S. · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 0

Hi all,

I'll be traveling in northern Thailand, Laos and Vietnam from October to December. I lead up to 6a. I'll be happy to find partners/ climbing friends :)

Contact me through mail: michalshemesh1@gmail.com.

See you :)

Mike Yen · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 0

Hi all,

I'll be in Ha Long Bay/Cat Ba island towards the end of November, sometime between the 20th and the 27th. If anyone is in the area at that time and wants to get some sport climbing in that's be great!

Dillon Diering · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0

Hey all, 

I will be in Railay the 22nd of October. I have my personals, but no draws or rope. I can offer a damn fine belay and can lead up to mid 10's or low 11's (dependent on how stiff the grades are here). It is my first time in Thailand so no promises on how useful I will be finding the climbs, but I'm always down for an adventure. Hit me up if you need a partner or DWS buddy! 

Jacob Mayerson wrote:

Hey I live in vietnam and would totally be down to go climbing! hit me up when you get here

I’m in Cat Ba today for a bit! Where do you live?

TaylorP wrote:

Hey! My girlfriend and I are backpacking through Asia and should be in Vietnam at the beginning of October. I may or may not take my rope...but ill definitely have my harness. Would be great to meet up!

I am in Cat Ba for the next week climbing, maybe longer. Looking to do some sport climbing in Butterfly Valley and a little DWS. I have all my gear/rope so if you have your shoes and harness we are all set

Jess

+17757903168  email me, or I can iMessage. I should have a Vietnam SIM card soon

Mallory Larsson wrote:

Hey! I'm backpacking in Asia as well and will likely be in Chiangmai in december - I'd love to have a partner!

Yes please!!!!! Email me at Jessica.gorton7@gmail.com or find me on Facebook and let’s plan!

Quincy Snowdon wrote:

I'm indefinitely living on Cat Ba Island in northern Vietnam and I'm always looking for climbing partners. If anyone finds themselves in the area, I'd love to rope up. I have access to a full suite of gear - couple dozen QDs, simple trad rack, shoes, about a dozen slings, grigri/atc, 60m rope, helmet - that I'm more than willing to use. I've been here for a few months and have decent knowledge of several climbing spots on the island. I can usually sport lead up to about 7a and trad lead about 6bish. Drop a line in this thread if you find yourself in the area.

Cheers!

Hey Quincy! I just arrived! Can you email me or Facebook me? Jessica.gorton7@gmail.com 

Eric Metz · · Salem, OR · Joined Dec 2017 · Points: 0
Quincy Snowdon wrote:

Cheers!

Quincy! Just sent you a pm. Hopefully you are still in the area! Cheers.

Lynn Liu · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2018 · Points: 0

Anyone going to be in Vietnam from 11th March? I'm going to be there fpr two weeks and looking for climber poartners!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Extended Trips and International Partners
Post a Reply to "Vietnam/Thailand/Myanmar climbing partner"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started