Mountain Project Logo

Tricam love

Original Post
ebmudder · · Bronx, NY · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 55

Trad anchor in Acadia:

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 252

You...know that the gate was open on your pink, right?

Ted Pinson wrote:

You...know that the gate was open on your pink, right?

LOL...not my anchor! Those are Petzl Ange 'biners and were all closed...but you're right...I would have rotated the rightmost 'biner so the gate was facing away from the middle one.

Now that I look at it again it is closed...at that angle (and resolution) it looked like it had opened in exactly the way I would worry about with this kind of setup, but it was actually the spine of the biner next to it that I mistook for the gate.  Hope no one was TR bangin on that thing.

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 3,492
Ted Pinson wrote:

Now that I look at it again it is closed...at that angle (and resolution) it looked like it had opened in exactly the way I would worry about with this kind of setup, but it was actually the spine of the biner next to it that I mistook for the gate.  Hope no one was TR bangin on that thing.

If you agree the biners were not open, why are you still conceerned that <gasp> someone may have been climbing, er... "TR bangin", on it?

Stephen L · · Atl GA · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 130

I've had my feelers out for tricams for a little while... those horizontal placements!

I'd want to plug a friend's tri before buying though. But if a friend had some I probably wouldn't need to buy any... full circle. 

Patrik Ring · · Brooklyn, New York · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 0

I know that anchor. I was there. I cleaned it. It was not used for top roping. And I would not have been worried about toproping off of it if we were doing that...

Where were you ebmudder?

Speeches wrote:

I've had my feelers out for tricams for a little while... those horizontal placements!

I'd want to plug a friend's tri before buying though. But if a friend had some I probably wouldn't need to buy any... full circle. 

Come climb with me in the gunks and you can plug my tricams to your hearts content

Patrik Ring wrote:

I know that anchor. I was there. I cleaned it. It was not used for top roping. And I would not have been worried about toproping off of it if we were doing that...

Where were you ebmudder?

Heh...I don't think you were there Patrik...it was the top of Birch Ade on the South Wall yesterday (9/14).

eli poss · · Durango, CO · Joined May 2014 · Points: 525

Looks fine except I tend to prefer my tricams placed nose down, but that's just getting nitpicky 

ebmudder wrote:

Heh...I don't think you were there Patrik...it was the top of Birch Ade on the South Wall yesterday (9/14).

Yes. I climbed that with a guide showing me around the area.

Paul Deger · · Colorado · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 36

The only way I give up my tricams is you pry them out of my cold dead hands! Love them! On every pitch, I find a placement that nothing else will do.

Gunkiemike wrote:

If you agree the biners were not open, why are you still conceerned that someone may have been climbing, er... "TR bangin", on it?

Eh, I don't love the way the gates are loaded on the rock.  Would probably feel better with lockers if I was going to leave it like that, but in the context it was used it is fine.

Stephen L · · Atl GA · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 130
Patrik Ring wrote:

Come climb with me in the gunks and you can plug my tricams to your hearts content

Hey. Don't you go threatenin' me with a good time.

Patrik Ring wrote:

Yes. I climbed that with a guide showing me around the area.

with Alex? That would be a coincidence indeed!

ebmudder wrote:

with Alex? That would be a coincidence indeed!

With Alex indeed :D

Russ Keane · · Salt Lake · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 392

It takes nerve and confidence to set an anchor like this!   Was it the guide who made it?   Love it.

It was the guide, but not really sure why it takes nerve. I’d consider this bomber as f*** :)

eli poss · · Durango, CO · Joined May 2014 · Points: 525

It looks pretty bomber, but it would be nice not to have all the pieces in one crack and maybe also have a bigger piece in there. 

Russ Keane · · Salt Lake · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 392

I know it's bomber.   Do you build anchors?   It takes nerve and confidence because tricams are ..... unique....   in that you are trusting the little nose and a delicate little technique to set them.  A whole anchor of tricams, pulling weirdly in one direction only and twisting around a corner....  Is not exactly what you always see or do.

Russ Keane wrote:

I know it's bomber.   Do you build anchors?   It takes nerve and confidence because tricams are ..... unique....   in that you are trusting the little nose and a delicate little technique to set them.  A whole anchor of tricams, pulling weirdly in one direction only and twisting around a corner....  Is not exactly what you always see or do.

I mean. I do build anchors... and sure tricams are a bit special :) but I’d trust my life on that specific anchor. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Trad Climbing
Post a Reply to "Tricam love"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started