Mountain Project Logo

Top belay bd guide by wire?

JonasMR · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 6

That's real cute, all this about accepting the blame and moving on.  But the way you find out if you really moved on is when you're at the bottom of the next spicy crux, with her on belay.  You gunna real quick have her double check all the ways she might have messed something up?  Was your bounce test at the start really, really solid?  Did you maybe not bounce so hard, thinking you could rip her off the wall if she messed something else up? Did something move around up there since you bounced?

Forgive and move on may be the right advice.  But the real question should be, "how do you do that?"  How do you do that after she makes some different mistake in 6 months or a year.  Mistakes happen: how does one really and truly get past them?  

OP felt that last time.  The talking at the belay was good.  But the feeling lasted the whole rest of the climb and then some.  So now that its been a while, how are you guys getting on, OP?

tyler bostwick · · Ogden, UT · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 1
JonasMR wrote:

OP felt that last time.  The talking at the belay was good.  But the feeling lasted the whole rest of the climb and then some.  So now that its been a while, how are you guys getting on, OP?

We haven't climbed again since the incident. I've gone out with some other friends on some routes but haven't done any multi pitches yet, not out of fear just been busy. 

It's not that I don't trust her, I do, some great points have been made that she's learned her lesson which I absolutely believe. She'll never make that mistake again. Or hopefully others like it! 

So we're taking a break, this whole thing has really made me take a step back and think about what I truly want out of a s.o. and a climbing partner. Do I want someone who climbs just because it's what I like to do, or someone who loves it, lives it, and breathes it as much as I do. Climbing is very important to me and I take it extremely seriously and I need to decide how important it has to be to me and my s.o. for us both to be happy. 

Greg D · · Here · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 883
tyler bostwick wrote:

Do I want someone who climbs just because it's what I like to do, or someone who loves it, lives it, and breathes it as much as I do. Climbing is very important to me and I take it extremely seriously and I need to decide how important it has to be to me and my s.o. for us both to be happy. 

Umm.  Are you curing cancer, helping hurricane survivors or rescuing some puppies?  Its just rock climbing.  Perspective people.  Perspective!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Injuries and Accidents
Post a Reply to "Top belay bd guide by wire? "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started