Mountain Project Logo

Deckers/South Platte climbs for kids

Original Post
Caleb Schwarz · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 120

A friend of mine is going camping in the Deckers area and needs some places to top rope his kids on. Preferably not too long of a hike and not too far from Deckers. Easy fifth to 5.7 is probably about right. Let me know what you guys have had good luck with!

fuck you · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 0

staunton rocks, kid friendly TRs and easy approaches with SP amenities (well marked trails and bathrooms!)

Jfriday1 · · Golden, CO · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 40

Atlantas Dome, has a short approach and couple of 5.6 slab climbs next to each other with a bolted anchor.

Ben Hobgood · · Conifer, CO · Joined Jun 2006 · Points: 225

Skinner mountain is great with kids

Dan Cooksey · · Pink Ford Thunderbird · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 365

You can walk around and build a gear top rope or wrap long slings or rope around boulders, at Turkey Perch area on Turkey Rocks.  Climbs are a little harder (still 5.7 to 5.10). However the kids probably will just have a blast scrambling around on the huge boulders at the base of the climbs. 

Also elevenmile Canyon has some good kid friendly climbs it's about 30 mins from Deckers I think.  

slim · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2004 · Points: 1,103

the murphy dome / half dome area would be perfect for that sort of thing.  really close to the car, easy to set up TR's, etc.  can chill by the river afterwards.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "Deckers/South Platte climbs for kids"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started